Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A not so expensive wal bass-such a thing exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I'm fond of wal basses, but of course they are all around 3k$ or more which is....a lot. Are there any Wal models (4 string) that go for around 1600$ or less, that any of you might know of?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I doubt it exists...they are amazing basses, and as such, people are very unwilling to let them go for a low price....

their pedigree as basses is amazing...they have perhaps had some less than favourable attention from players like Flea, but with guys like Geddy lee, Paul MacCartney and Jonas Hellborg using them, their quality cannot be denied!

It's a sad truth, but they don't go for cheap...especially with the waiting times they have now for a new one...

3. Oh please.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Justin chancellor :)

I heard that Wal stopped taking orders?

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I tink they might not be taking orders...I know a guy who talks to the builders, I think they're very short staffed right now...last time I heard, estimated build time was 14-16 months.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Ouch. I wanna play one.

Mark

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    at 14-16 months, no offense, but how hard could they be working? How many basses are they working on at once?A few? And it takes over a year?

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That is a distinct pleasure afforded to me only once...and I only had my hands on it for about 5 mintues before I had to go and catch a bus :meh:

To this day, I think I maybe should have walked home.

And I'm not sure the waiting time is that long, but thats what I was told...

EDIT the website says 7-9 months.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You're right Jerzy Drozd works alone with 2 assistants and takes 3 months to make a bass and he makes a good amount of basses every year.

Regarding the not taking orders thing, i heard that 1 of the important men at Wal Basses has some serious health problems.

10. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Think the long waiting time is not the actual building of the bass it's including the waiting list. I've also heard of some problems with new wals.

11. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx

Dude, Wal basses is one guy. Its just Pete Stevens. It started off as Pete Stevens and Ian Waller( did electronics). Ian Waller died in 1988. Its just Pete Stevens and he is swamped with orders and i think he has had some medical issues over the past few years.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When the comment was made that they were short staffed, that implies more than one person to me. If short staffed means one person insteead of 2, than i would have worded it differently.

13. It might be a little off topic but i recon that the jack bruce warwick looks like a wal but better its a shame that there are so few of them they could have sold loads

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    that bass has a street preice of 5000€ in europe thats not warwicks main market bet you can special order 1 to the customshop whenever all the JB sigs get sold.

15. wal should just sell their electronics patent for the pups...make their extreme $$ and let the rest of us get some of that fat pickup sound....its the not the wood crafting that makes a wal sound like that,...they have a rather shoddy life expectancy..now ill get hate mail from wal owners....i consider the tone a perfect 10 but not the hand crafting.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    14-16 months? LOL! There are people who have been waiting over 3 years for a new Wal.

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you look hard enough once in a while you'll come across a cheap used one. The going rate seems to be atleast $2000 for used, but I saw one on here about 2 years ago for $1800 and a friend of mine got a Geddy Lee Wal through a want-ad magazine for $1500.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    There was a cheaper line of Wal basses, the "Pro" models, produced for a while in the '80s.

You can identify the Pro models by their pickguards. They came in one and two pickup versions, passive or active. Prices were kept down by limiting the options.

They turn up fairly regularly in the UK. No idea how many made it to the States.

[​IMG]

19. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I finally got to play one. The electronics were very similar to an Alembic.
    It played nice and felt great. Chords sounded AMAZING on it.
    At 3200 bucks I felt it was a tad overpriced, but since they are becoming rare, I understand.

20. The woodcrafting is second to none. Attached is a picture of one of my old one's when it was 12 years old and had been gigged every week.

Not a mark on it, the neck never needed tweaking and still managed to look stunning.

Matthew