Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A note on budding luthiers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrsfnkta, Mar 27, 2002.

1. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    I HAD to post after I found out who was guest hosting this forum...

After searching eBay for months for something great and finding nothing, I ran a search on the net for "custom bass" and started checking out luthiers. If you are looking at a high end bass, you better check the indepents first.

I am currently commissioning basses from Darrin Huff (D Huff Guitars) and Matt Schill (FBB Custom Bass Works), and they have both been amazing. For less than you think, you can have an amazing one-of-a-kind bass built by hand. Walk in any music instrument dealer and look at the wood selections offered. Go custom and you can get pretty much anything that grows. Cooperation has been nothing short of spectacular. Darrin is doing a great custom scroll carve on the upper bout, and Matt has one of the coolest basic designs out there. You better get in touch with them quick, though, 'cause these guys are gonna get busy.

Just my two cents....seriously, though, support the independent luthier - you will not be disappointed.

Jim Isbell

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I agree entirely!
    The only parallel I can make is with the traditional violin makers...this endagered species are subject to mass production,wich can,sometimes,be very dissapointing.
    Hopefully,electric guitars and basses are in trend,so encouraging a private constructor is all we'd have to do,first,for our own good,as consumers and,eventually,pupils...just think on Fodera!
    Le Basseur