Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A note to the "non-American" TB-ers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    First, I'm pretty impressed with the command of the English language some of you have. Much better than some who live in "English-speaking" countries. For a while I didn't even realize that we had people here from Denmark, Holland and other places that Americans can't find on a map. How did you learn to speak English so well? Here in the USA, the vast majority of people are pretty mono-lingual and have no or very little interest in learning another language. I'm working on Spanish, which is pretty handy where I live, right by the Mexican border. I doubt that I'll ever learn Flemish or Dutch or even German. Being fluently bi-lingual is something that I have a great respect for, and hope to achieve at some point.

Also, it's interesting to see what you overseas TB'ers think of various basses, whether Fender, Celinder, Schack, or whatever. The internet has really opened up avenues of communication across boundaries.

It looks like people are people pretty much; when I read a post from a bassist in Europe or South America, I find that he or she has a lot of the same concerns as I do, whether about basses, setup, pickups or whatever. Sometimes the British seem more foreign than anyone else. "Two peoples separated by a common language," is the phrase that comes to mind ;) . They probably feel the same about us.

Anyway, my point is that it's pretty cool being able to come on here and talk about basses and whatnot to people all over the world. And England.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    my early memories of english language comes from videogames, yeah! i don't know how but i understood some of the stuff happening but i did.

Then I studied english for 8 years (from age 8 to 16) got my english "diploma" and then i "perfected" it with music listening, american sitcoms, movies and of course THE INTERNET.

My written english improved A LOT thanks to talkbass :hyper:

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    In Finnish schools the first english courses start at grade three in elementary, so that after you finish high school you have nine years of english behind you. And of course it does help that the Finnish TV doesn't dub the plentiful english programs, but instead subtitle them.

Oh yeah, internet helps too. Thanks to it my written english is at kinda decent level, even if it doesn't help me with my spoken english.

4. yea, i have to agree that the non-english speaking community is cool.

im learning French... but I missed a lot of last year so it's very poor.

i have a cyber buddy from a computer game from Germany, he said he was one of the first Germans to start playing and had no choice but to learn English using a translater and just guessing at lots of words! pretty awesome. :cool:

the EU has good bier too. :p :smug:

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Im not american but english is still my first* language.

* Read as - I only know very little german and french from school, i did german for 2 years, and french for 5, but i wish i had done it the other way round, german is easier IMO.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - if only we could understand more of what the Scots say!! ;)

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Jings crivens and help ma' boab! Whit are ye talkin' aboot ya eejit??? ;) We speak yon funny language fine! :spit:

8. It helps a LOT. That´s one of the good things about living in a small country: overdubbing films and TV shows would be proportionally too expensive, so we have been accustomed to subtitles. Even the thought of overdubbing makes me shudder. OTOH, in countries where overdubbing is the norm, people probably shudder when they see subtitles...

9. I learned English by listening to English comics on TV when I was a child, then by reading Dirt Wheels magazine, and then Bass Player magazine.

My spoken English isn't half as good as my written English, though. Gard said I have an accent... :bawl:

I'm glad I learned English, though. There are many more English-speaking people around here than in my native area.

10. In Holland we get English on school.. Most schools also teach French and German in the first 2 years.

11. Ye dinnae jalouse whit we're oan aboot 'cos yer lugs are aw bunged up wi' glabber man!. :D

Drinking six or seven pints of Theakstons Old Peculiar should help with any translation problems...trust me!, i'm a Doctor. :hyper:

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sounds like a Maritime accent to me!

13. Do I count as "Non-English" seeing as I'm Welsh? :p Apparently, I sound really Australian even though I'm Welsh born and bred and have never been to Australia... Weird.

14. Hi, we learn english in school and even some spanish. but it helps to be the only french speaking province in an english-talking country.

15. FWIW I was born in Fullerton and visited the US at least twice a year after moving to Hong Kong when I was 1 1/2 years old (I'm full blooded Chinese, just so you know).
    Other than that, my parents spoke to my brother and me in English, and I went to an international school in Hong Kong that was based on the British system. Which explains why my primary 3/2nd grade teacher told me I was wrong when I spelled it "color" instead of "colour." And then again my geography teacher in year 9/8th grade circled the word "color" with a big fat red pen.

But I still say "pavement" instead of "sidewalk" from time to time, and I say "bugger" a lot. (Am I allowed to type that on here?)
    I'd like to think that my English is better than most Americans my age, but having surrounded myself with a lot of smart people, it suddenly doesn't seem like it's all that good.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    English classes since 5th grade, one of two major subjects in my graduation (13th grade). Read most books in English (when originally written in English) and a lot of magazines. The internet helps too.

Most movies here are dubbed though, and some are even better than in the original version (e.g. Life of Brian (really! The guy who speaks John Cleese is a true genius) or Boondock Saints). On DVDs I usually prefer English though.

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    English is taught in schools here in Iceland. It begins a whole lot earlier nowdays compared to when I was in school many, many moons ago.

Before I started to learn english in school, my primary learning tool were the old Sierra games which you had to type every command in. King´s Quest, Space Quest, Hero´s Quest, Iceman, the Larry games and many more.

Also, tv is not dubbed here in Iceland so I learned a whole lot just reading the subtitles and picking up what they were saying.

Although I was taught Danish for much longer in school, I know english much, much better!

18. Defo, I did French for 7 years, german for 3 and I'm absolutely hopeless at French, and can hold a simple enough conversation in German. And then there's Gaelic, which i've done for 13 years, and am still useless! School's don't teach Gaelic in the North, do they?

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

England is part of this world?

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Paying attention in school.
    Playing video games (although some of the old 8-bit ones are in Japlish more than anything).
    Subtitled programmes on TV.
    The Internet.

You're mainly taught British English in school, but most stuff on TV is American, so I guess my English is sort of schizophrenic in nature. ;) I think I manage quite well, if I may say so myself, even if there's always room for improvement. It's great to understand what it says in 75% of all the sites on the Internet!