Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A novice looking for help.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stingisanoldman, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Stingisanoldman

Stingisanoldman

Aug 21, 2000
    Hi all. Like the heading says, I'm a novice looking for help. Around six months ago I picked up my cousin's bass and started fooling around with it. Long story short, I fell in love with the instrument, bought myself a cheap four string "Squire" and started teaching myself to play. I don't have an amp or a band or anything, just me and a bass. In any case, I suddenly find myself asking the questions "What should I look for when my a new bass? What should I look for when buying an amplifier?"

Furthermore, when I first started playing, I listened to a lot of Primus and Red Hot Chili Peppers, but now all my stuff is starting to sound the same (A lot of 3-5 and 5-7 combinations). Anyone out there have any suggestions for who to listen to/imitate/emulate?

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks,

-Stingisanoldman

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yo...

Welcome to talkbass!

There are plenty of threads on exactly what you're asking up in the "Basses" forum...I'd suggest lurking around there and reading through some of those...

For amps, do the same thing in the Amps forum.

-GM

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah... what he said.

And if you want to know more about certain players, check out the "Bassists" forum and for some good listening material, check out the "recordings" forum...

Will C.:cool:

4. Ok mate. I'll give you what i suggest.
    Get a peavey milestone 3 for a bass, It's durable, good sound ad pretty cheap.

for an amp get anything that works...lol. No idea about amps, i just brought one and i was lucky that it's cool.

Primus and Chili's is the place to start playing if you want to be funky/rocky. 3/5 5/7 combinations are cool. what i will suggest you do is use 1/3/5/7/9 on all strings to start with. Not all over the place but change it around a bit.

a perfect example of this would be the verse to 'knock me down' by RHCP.

This is extra advise from what you already have, see ya

5. How 'bout Sting? :rolleyes:

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Heres a few bassists that i'd look into I'm not sure if they're exactly the style you wanna play but it's always nice to have a wide back ground: Traa [POD],Tim [RATM],Tony [No Doubt],Fieldy [KoRn if u like slap happy bass] also try listening to alittle Bach or Beethoven it helps out in making up harmonies & getting ideas for certain rythms. Listen to as many bands & types of music as you can, it can't hurt any. Good Luck & Welcome to TB