1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A number of string questions... exposed core & stainless to name a few

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dean owens, Jul 31, 2012.

1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    A while back I bought some Spector stainless strings off ebay and really liked how they felt and sounded on my ReBop. It's now time to change strings and I've run out of my ebay supply. I bought some strings directly from Spector but I don't think I can use them. The stainless strings Spector sells now are "exposed core" so the part that goes over the bridge is the size of the G string at every string.

So here's the questions...
    1. What is the advantage of "exposed core" strings?
    2. Since my bass is set up for "normal" strings will I have to setup my bass (reset action and intonation) to be able to use these strings?
    3. I'm thinking the answer to number 2 is a yes. With that being the case can someone recomend a decent set of stainless strings that won't break the bank?
    4. Anyone need some exposed core stainless Spector strings for a 5-string? I have two sets I can't use.

Thanks for the help guys.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    1. The big advantage to me is that they fit in many bridges better. Some bridges don't have slots wide enough for big strings (like .130). Exposed core fixes that. Exposed core also help bigger strings intonate more accurate.

2. Well, you should really check your setup every time you change strings anyway so that really won't change. For the exposed core strings, you will just need to raise your saddles a little. Pretty basic stuff.

3. See answer #2. Basically what you want is a car that you never have to change the oil or wiper blades. Not gonna happen.

4. Spector wouldn't sell strings that won't work on Spector basses. Think about it!

3. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    Hmmm. Ok. I can see that. The 130 is a tight fit on the Spector bridge but it's doable. So they intonate a little better... how are they as far as floppiness goes. I would think keeping the larger diameter would help them stay "tighter".

First of all, REALLY?! I check to see if my truss rod needs adjusting but I can't see why I'd need to check my intonation if I use the same gauge strings every time.
    Secondly, Spector bridges aren't like other bridges. I do all my own setups for other guitars and basses I own so I'm not inexperienced. These saddles kinda "float" and are held in place by one allen screw on the side pushing them all together.

Again, really? I've never run into anyone who says you have to setup your bass or guitar after every string change.

I know they'll work. They're strings. But I will need to do a whole new setup and right now I don't want to. I have a set of nickel strings I can use if I have to.

I do thank you for your help. Please don't take my reactions as disrespectful. I've just never had someone tell me I had to do a full setup after ever string change.

4. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    In general, if you change string brands you can have a variation in sizes even though the gauges may be the same.

Thus, when changing brands, you sometimes have to make some intonation adjustments.

The current Spector Steel strings are exposed core, and you would for sure need to bring up your saddles and most likely need to adjust your intonation.

The least expensive Steels strings you will find are D'Addario Pro Steels.
    GHS, SIT, and Dunlops are also reasonably priced.

I recommend getting strings from http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

Great prices and customer service. Sign up for the VIP by submitting your Talkbass username and you get even more of a discount. If you have any questions you can email Jason who runs the site. His username on Talkbass is SLaPiNFuNK

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well to be honest, some people just don't care....or just don't know. I never understood that, and it gets on my last nerve. When you change strings, check your relief, check your intonation. It takes 30 seconds.

Did you know that your intonation can change over time as the strings age? Another reason to KEEP checking intonation. These little things make a difference, and show your band mates that you actually give half a crap about what you're doing.

I'm not directing that at anybody specifically, just a little rant of mine :)

And I know a thing or two about Spector bridges, having been a Spector player since 1996 :)

Oh, your question #1...exposed/tapered core makes no difference in tension/floppiness.

6. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I understand your surprise - I was equally surprised when I first read this about basses, having played guitar for many years. But when you consider the greater tension on a bass neck, the truss rod has more work to do than on a guitar.

Since I learned how to set up my bass properly I notice things that I wouldn't have noticed before, e.g. playing my electric guitar the other day and noticing a bit of excessive clank, I knew to check the action and then slightly loosen the truss rod. In the past I'd have either not noticed or just accepted it and produced a less pleasing sound!

Changing bass strings won't necessarily mean a change in setup - but it's a very good time to check.