1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A p-bass with Rickenbacker pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    My friend decided the other day that he was going to take the pickup out of his 90's MIM P-bass, and put Rickenbacker 4003 pups in it. I do not no how it is going to sound at all. Has anyone on here ever done this, or at least have a general idea on the sound of it?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most of what makes up the tone difference between a P and a Ric is the pickups and their location. Secondarily there's the V/T versus V/T/V/T wiring, and after that is the bolt-on versus neck-thru. IMO, YMMV, etc.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'm thoroughly interested in the outcome.

4. I've heard of may Ric owners swapping out their Ric pickups for something else...but never heard anyone using Ric pickups in place of another brand. This could get interesting...

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Here's a p-bass with rare hb-2 pickups ...

Bass5-0071.

And I have a Fenderbird with Rick pickups ...

A lot of the Ric sound is the single coil pickups and a lot of the sound is the pickup location. Also the maple body and bubinga fretboard are part of the sound.