1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A pain in my butt!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I have two basses, both short scale, both strung with light gauge nickel wounds so pretty low tension, and I like my action to be really really low (under 1.5mm) as I have hand troubles.

Probably due to this, I am adjusting my truss rods all the time (a couple of times a week) on both instruments as I find that whatever I do to both necks, the relief settles back to how it was before. Only a couple of times have I had to loosen the truss rods in the last year, mainly tightening them - at first I thought there was a problem with one of the basses, but that can't be the case with it being both.

I've actually had this "issue" on every bass I've ever had besides my USA Fender as it had graphite rods. I don't know of any short scales that have those apart from Spector, and I can't afford one of those.

One bass I had, I sold it for way cheaper than it should have been, believing it had issues, and the buyer took it to a luthier to have it checked out and there was nothing wrong with it. I lost hundreds on that.

I know I am particular about my action, and I also know that I live in a part of the world where the weather/temperature/humidity changes every five minutes, but is there anything I can do? I'm a bit worried that I might run out of adjustment room.

Do bass necks all have a point that they will settle at no matter how I adjust the damn things?

2. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Have you ever considered an instrument with a graphite neck? Status Graphite makes grat instruments and some sweet short scale instruments too. I live in Norway: huge changes in temperature and humidity, graphite necks are great for stability in extreme conditions.

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Really? I've definitely had a look at those but didn't know they made short scales. Their website lists 32" as an option but I'm a big fan of 30" or 30.5"

Living in Norway, have you had similar issues to me? I kinda feel like I'm the only one that's ever had this problem sometimes :D

4. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    I don't know if they'll go that short, but it doesn't hurt to ask: Status Graphite is in many ways a mom & pops business, just send an email and Rob or Dawn will be back to you shortly.

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Bump to see if anyone has any further insight

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Pip-pip! :)

7. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    For my education, was my post out of line? i am in no way affiliated with Status Graphite, just a happy customer trying to be helpful ;)

8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Not as far as I'm concerned! :)

9. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    try to fall asleep facing up and lock your door at night. hope this helps.

TheCrimsonKing likes this.
  10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    What?

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not at all. Doesn't Rob still sign all his correspondence "Pip-pip"?

adi77 likes this.
  12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Hi Evil,

Just an FYI, my Jag SS has a 2011 serial number and has started to finally settle in this year. What's going to make this fun is that I'm going to try higher tension stings. Well, as soon as they arrive. Can't wait to see how the neck handles that.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i had the issue in that my little allen wrench was not providing enough leverage for me to really crank the truss rod to where it needed to be, a local luthier had a very large wrench that was just the ticket for tweaking the neck just a little further to where it needed to be to stabilize

14. Yes, they will eventually settle, whether it is before your truss rod is maxed out, who knows. Part of the deal here is that on some imports as I believe we are talking SS Jags here, the wood hasn't really cured up as well as would be ideal. I've had several MII Squires that were probably trees 2 weeks before they were necks and bodies it seemed. Some I kept, some not, but they all eventually got BETTER after awhile. It can be maddening for sure. If you are constantly tightening due to weather, that would suggest a very dry climate. Are they kept in cases or on stands or??? Cases with bags of dessicant maybe not a great idea, out of cases maybe try to induce some humidity. It gets very dry in winter here and I put a coffee can of water over the heater vents to put water back in the air and it helps a lot keeping my necks happy. If it doesn't seem to be seasonally related, it's just wood curing and will eventually calm down most of the time.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

When you say a 1.5mm action do you mean on the E string? That is an insanely low action and that is coming from a guy with super low action. Not only do you need top-notch fret work you would need a Matt Garrison touch not to get buzz city.

Back to your question, what kind of basses? No neck should move that much in my experience. Even my Ray doesn't move that much and I live in a place that can swing 30-40 degrees Celsius in a day. The only two basses I had that required constant setups were Squier Affinity P basses but I also salvaged them from teenager's closets where they had been collecting dust.

As others have said, wood will always settle. That is just the nature of it. Some regions do setups more often than others. I have to tweak mine regularly.

hover likes this.
  16. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Oh, now I understand: when I saw the chicken with the baseball bat saying "pip-pip" I tought it was chicken talk for "watch it" :D
    Also Rob never pip-piped me... kind of disappointing, as buying four necks should warrant a few pips. I don't have a 100% Status though, maybe that's why I'm pipless.

All jokes aside, great company, grat people, great products!!!

17. Say what what?

KingKrabb likes this.
  18. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    non toxic lubrication helps with discomfort if it is unavoidable

josiah goldfish likes this.
  19. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    You can't keep tightening. At some point you'll max out your truss rod. I have a newish Fender Jazz that I had to tightening several times over the winter. But I've been loosening since as the weather has warmed and humidity has gone up. On the other hand my Fender P hasn't needed much adjustment either way. Some instruments are just more finicky.

I haven't tried putting the Jazz in my butt.

josiah goldfish likes this.
  20. sunfighter

sunfighter

Nov 26, 2011
    Have same problem with my 06 SG bass. Set it up about 2-3 times a week
    Initially its great and the goes right back. I have 15 years doing set ups on Fender basses, this is my first shorty. When I set up im giving the truss rod a few turns, not the 1/4 turn method. Any ideas?