1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Pain in the Wrist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mudslinger, May 2, 2006.

1. Has anyone experienced a pain in the wrist? Just under the thumb in the wrist. Curious if anyone else has felt this, going through it or past it.

2. When you say "just below the thumb," are we talking about the hand-side of the wrist, or the forearm-side?

3. either side, either hand.. yes.

4. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Yes, i have had that problem before. It had actually spread throughout my fingers as well. I was told by the doctor that it was tendonitis, and it literally hurt to bad to play. I had to wear a wrap/splint thingy that you can buy from the store (sold with all the bandages and wraps) for a little while. After that, it did get better. I still wear wrist bands ( 2 per arm, 1 over-laping the other) for compression on the wrist when i play for an extended period of time. I found that this helps alot for me. I know some people dont like the looks of it, but it's kinda the same thing that Billy Sheehan does with the wristbands, and he has even said that it helped him with the problems he was having with his hands...

Be really careful and dont force yourself to play while this is going on. you could do more damage to yourself....

5. Sheep Man, Not sure if I follow what you mean?? Hand or forearm?? The pain I feel is right where you would check for a pulse (the radial).

6. I do find when I play or even at work the more I use it the pain goes away. I don't want to make it worse. I think I'll get it checked. Thanks for the info guys.

7. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    That's where it started for me. Try this, apply pressure to that part (like your checking your pulse) and see if there is any releif...

But do get it checked out.

8. What kind of pain is it, though? Is it a sharp, localized pain or more of a lingering, diffuse pain?

And if it goes away when you use it, then it might not be anything too particularly serious, but then again, I'd rather go to a doctor and find out for sure than find out later on that it's something serious.

9. Hey SheepMan, Well its kind of how you described it. It is sharp when I move it by lifting something or twist my wrist in a localized area of my wrist. After using it, like playing, it is more lingering and diffused. But after time again it goes back to a sharp pain, only in the one area. I will get it checked out, but I was just wondering if this is common in players that are starting out cause of the hand position and such. I was thinking that it may go away like working out muscles that have not been used before. Untill it gets stronger the pain will go away. Fore sure I think I'll be going to the Dr.'s. Good to know from seasoned players, thanks again!!

10. Hey dannoman, I tryed that and it did take the pain away. Should I use a tensor or brace of some sort to play?? Is this what happened to you? Did it go away for you??

11. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds like you have RSS or something, which could come from playing bass in a wierd position but usually occurs from too much computer use.

I know someone who's basically lost use of both her hands from this, so don't ignore it! Stretch your wrists, ease up on the computer use, and if it keeps hurting, go to a doctor.

-Dash

12. cavemanfr

cavemanfr

Jun 3, 2005
    Indiana
    Bend the thumb in across your palm and make a fist. Move your hand sideways both ways. Pain along the thumb side of the wrist means DeQuervains Tenosynovitis. This is common with bass players, I am told. A special wrist brace, those found in WalMart will not work, is required and depending on the severity, a cortizone shot may be required. I am currently being treated for this. Possible cause was a switch to heavier gauge strings.

13. Wow cavemanfr, What you said to try is how it hurts. The further I stretch it in this position the sharper the pain. Next stop the Dr.'s. Will this go away with treatment?? Is it permanent?? Never heard anything good about a cortizone shot!! Hate needles at the best of times. Keep me updated with your treatment and good luck with it. I'll keep you posted too.

14. Dash Rantic, If it was computer use wouldn't both wrists be effected?? Don't think I mentioned that it was only in my left wrist. What is RSS?? serious stuff or not??

To everyone that responded Thanks again for all the info!! Keep on Rockin'

15. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Computer use is usually 90% the problem and bass tips it over the edge.

Look at your computer use. Get a split keyboard so your wrists are straight.

Look at your bass technique - straight wrists.

Add a warm up routine of GENTLE stretches - they shoudn't hurt.

Don't do ANYTHING that hurts - it doesn't make it better. Playing through pain is a mistake.

This isn't going to go away :-( However if you're carefull you can manage it, and it can get better.

There are loads of threads in in the "technique" forum you should read.

Ian

16. Wow Damn computer is interfering with my bass experience. But I'm sure it is my technique. Will take a look at it and straighten it out. Thanks again for the fountain of knowledge guys.

17. I have had that pain before, but both times i had damaged my hand before, infact broke a bone in there at one stage. I was off playing for a little while :'(.

Sorry i cant offer much more help, hope it gets better soon mate

18. Surgery??? Wow... So after the surgery are you gonna be good to play again or sidelined permanetly??

19. Completely patient dependant. Ideally I'd be normal again after 3.5 years of pain. More realisitcally you'd want to still take it easy tho. So many musicians go through injurys in their life it's important to be smart about it.

I'm not sidelined now, don't plan on the surgery changing that!