Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A pair of Sadowskys on E-bay....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommixx, Feb 26, 2003.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I prefer a vintage 4. The body is slightly smaller than the ultra vintage. Both are awesome. The 4 on ebay looks very nice. I'm not a big fan of maple boards but the flame on that bass grabs you! Best of luck

Rob

2. I have seen that you are an endorser on Roger's site so I appreciate your response. I tend to agree with you on the maple boards. Do you think the body size makes that much of a diffence in sound or feel? I know from a comfort standpoint it does, as I have played a LOT of different body styles and really dig some and don't care for others.

I am really leaning more toward a vintage 4 with a tortoise shell guard, passive option in a 59 burst with a Brazilian fingerboard. I am also considering making it a P/J to get the best of both worlds. Still not sure of body wood Alder or Ash.......So many options, it is tough to decide. I want to wind up with one more 4 string and one more 5'er (both Sads) and quit! That is why it is such a tough choice. (read my "what's your arsenal worth" post and you can see why!!!)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    from starting this thread.. Nino's GAS for another Sadowsky has gone up 100000%

DM

4. ROTFLMAO........Hadn't thought of that when I started the thread....maybe I should have included a don't read this NINO caution!!!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IIRC, you can't get an Ultra-Vintage with a quilt top but I'm not 100% sure. You basic idea for a "vintage 4 with a tortoise shell guard, passive option in a 59 burst with a Brazilian fingerboard....P/J" Personally, I'd fo with a mint green 3 ply guard & DEFINITLY a quilt top:bassist:

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    My new coming Sdowsky body with standard colour,
    Tortoise pickguard, Brazilian fretboard, Alder body.
    P/J/ with option JJ route in case I want to change oneday to JJ

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Trust me, this thread does niothing to my GAS. Working, on the other hand, drives me insane!!!!! I want every in-stock bass, every custom order bass, every bass that is on consignment, every bass that's brought up in a conversation.:bawl:

Yes, I need some help. :D :bassist:

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    They're a nice couple of Sadowsky's!! I really love quilted maple! I'm just on the wrong side of the pond - oh and I'm skint!:eek:

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    :confused: Huh?

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'm like Nino. I like 'em all. I have a pj4 presently but have had quilt tops, 5's with emg's, etc. I still love a 4 string after all is said and done. If I can get away with it, I'd rather play a 4. I had a quilt top 4 in the standard layout that was awesome. I also had a vintage 4 with a sparkle finish and a pickguard. They are all wonderful and worth the $$.

My next one will be another 5. Probably a vintage 5 or standard 5 with 21 frets and Sadowsky pickups. I need to sell a couple pieces to make it a reality but it will happen. You're on the right path. Just pick one you like and play the heck out of it:D

Rob

11. ...skint (UK slang) = broke, busted (US slang)

Beauty, eh? (Canadian slang)

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    :D :D :D :D

13. They are very nice basses. The 4 looks like mine (see below) and the natural 5 Jazz looks great. It's a win win situation if you get either at a decent price.

I agree with Nino. I think Roger's idea behind the Ultra Vintage is not harmonizing with a quilt top. Not to say you couldn't order a full size P or J body with a quilt top with or without pickguard.

I'm supposed get my spalt maple PJ4 soon. And I'm getting lusty for a fretless and fretted 5. Lord help me.

Here's my quilted standard 4 with birdseye fingerboard and the finished body for my PJ4.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. ........Who got that Beautiful Quilted top with the birdseye.......I really love the look of that bass. In fact, I think yours is probably the one I originally talked to Roger about. My problem is I got a stable full of horses and I don't REALLY NEED another stallion but I REALLY want a couple more. (Sad 4 and a 5, Sound familiar guys?)

I really like the Cherry or Caramel burst but I want something with a classic look thus the 59 Burst. If I went with the Vintage over the Ultra I would definitely get a quilted top, no doubt, but I think I want the rosewood board instead of maple and I think the 59 Burst is probably the classic color for a Rosewood. I agree with NINO about the mint Pickguard but there is just something about a Tortoise on Sunburst.....Can't really picture how it would look with a quilted top so you are probably right about the mint and the quilt... Anyone else have any thoughts?

Rob....I was wondering how you like the P/J as opposed to the JJ? I also like the idea of maybe getting the option so that I could fit a JJ later like Basuki mentioned.....

Thanks!!!

15. I just realized that your profile says you live in Boca...I lived just off Glades Road in Boca for about 5 years and Worked on South Beach at South Beach Studios (in the Marlin), Criteria, VU and others...would have been nice to compare collections...I see you got a few beautys!

16. How about a pic of that bass when it is done....I think that you are getting the exact bass I want...but I think I want Ash body with quilted top...at least until I see yours! Did you get the passive option as well?

17. I live right by between Glades and Palmetto off of St. Andrews.

I haven't gotten the PJ4 yet. About 18 months ago I was at Roger's old shop and picked up a PJ5 with alder body and Brazilian rosewood and it killed me. The combined PJ setting was so FUNKY so ordered the PJ4 as I prefer 4 to 5.

18. That is a trip...we lived right up from you out near the Library on Glades at Coral Way townhouses...maybe 3 miles from you...small world I guess! Anyway, I actually prefer 4 's myself which is why I want to get a 4 first. Was thinking of ordering twins at the same time (4 and a 5) but I am afraid if I get the 4 I may not WANT another 5. I am curious how much difference is there in the Alder and the Ash and the J/J versus P/J in your opinion? I know the alder is going to be sweeter and warmer, but really how much? (since you have THE OTHER BASS I was thinking about,the cherryburst with that custom neck, a BEAUTY!!! I feel that you can really shed some lght on it for me) I like an old school sound. When I was a kid I spent ungodly amounts of money on the latest greatest active everything that was made. Pretty much gave away some of the most sought after Vintage things ever (once sold a CHERRRRYYYY! '62 Jazz with an original Tweed case that a kid had gotten brand new from his dad and NEVER played. Still had the ORIGINAL strings even and the bill of sale, not a scratch anywhere. Mute was not even dried out, everything there. My dad owned a music store at the time and offered the guy $250 for it in 1983. The guy took it and I sold the Bass in 1987 for $400 to buy a Pedull MVP Custom. That Pedulla was really nice but I would kill to have that '62 back.) I digress, I want to have that active Marcus Funk thing available but I also want Motown R&B and Bootsy FUNK if you know what I mean. I play mostly older stuff now. 60's to present from old rock to new funk and everything in between including some country and I really want 1 4 that can do it all fairly accurately and easily. I've great gear and I want the Bass (es if I get the 5) to go along with it. I have a bunch of stuff now...but they just aren't IT!

I am ready to end my tone quest and every clue is pointing me to Roger....but now that I have found him I am not sure what flava would hit the spot......

HELP....Anyone?

Thanks!

19. The tonal differences between my two basses should be quite huge: different woods for the body and fingerboard, different pickups. My jazz has a jazz width nut but the PJ4 will have a P width nut. The only thing in common are the Sadowsky preamp, bolt-on neck construction, and Sadowsky voodoo.

Ideally you could visit Roger's shop and try a few. I booked tickets from Ft Lauderdale to NYC for April and it was only $190/round trip. Alternatively, go to any store and try some Fenders and check out the difference between the rosewood and maple 'board basses. Alternatively, you could order a bass. Roger has a 7 day trial period and you pay shipping both ways.

Regardiing woods, IMHO, you are on the right track:
    • swamp ash: punchy, brighter, sharper attach
    • alder: sweeter, more mids, fuller or rounder sound
    Same thing applies to rosewood vs maple boards. I won't comment on ebony because you didn't add that to your options.