Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A paragraph I wrote about Music and me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 15, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    this is an excerpt from a paper I wrote about me, for my university applications. I thought some of you might enjoy it. Warning: I haven't actually studied Bach, I just put that in there to try and display myself as a well-rounded musician. Don't look at me like that! :bag: :p

I’ve had many interests and influences throughout my life, but the largest would have to be music. Having played saxophone until grade 10 and bass guitar for a year, I find that music, along with writing, is the best way to communicate thoughts and ideas. I can’t be limited by one genre because they all have their own unique attributes. The saying “Music is the universal language”, while clichéd, is something that I hold to be true. In times such as these, when so much is uncertain, one can always turn to music for sanctuary. I find bass guitar especially intriguing since it is so common in almost every genre of music, and how it is so fundamental to linking the other instruments together. In rock music, bass is responsible for connecting the drums and the guitar, and in jazz it connects the horns with the rest of the band. This has given me a chance to study many great musicians, from the rock tunes of Paul McCartney to the jazz methods of Charlie Parker, and even the great compositions of Bach.

:)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Love your avatar. Reminds me of a song with the lyric, "One toke over the line sweet Jesus ...". Your paragraph kinda reminds me of that, too.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I've never photographed that well in my life either. That's no coincidence. :D

And your sig is confusing.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're not watching enough Beavis and Butthead.