1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a part of history in my town is lost tonight...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGirl1122, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Tonight there was a huge fire in my town. The Seven Gables was burnt down. My friend actually heard the explosion (she lived a block from it), and took a couple pics. Almost like dejavu b/c in the start of the 20th century there was a huge hotel called the Hampton Terrace, that was so famous that they ALMOST made my town the film capital of the world (instead of Hollywood). Hampton Terrace burned down on New Years Eve of 1916-right after renovations!
    The Seven Gables was just renovated too.. The Seven Gables was a house built by the owners of the Hampton Terrace Hotel. It was used as a hunting lodge for the people who stayed at the Hampton Terrace.
    I am sure that the reactions on peoples faces earlier tonight were the same as those who witnessed the Hampton Terrace Hotel many years ago. Sad. We lost a part of history today... :'(
    hampton.
    Hampton Terrace
    sevengables2-1.
    Seven Gables before tonight
    7gables.
    tonight history is burnt to the ground...
    7gables2.

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    That blows. Any idea what happened?

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Unfortunately it's pretty common for renovations of old wooden houses to end in flames. Sometimes it's an angle grinder causing sparks to get into saw dust which slowly starts to burn. Sometimes it's a poor electrical connection that heats up, with the same result. Sometimes it's the inaugural candle that gets forgotten.

Either way, old wooden houses are just very dry, and hence very inflammable.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The definitely sucks, but the last picture looks so cool.

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    wow, that's too bad. I hate to see stuff like that