A pathetic cry for help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cdb, Dec 22, 2004.

1. cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    I am planning on putting together my Ibby ct PJ BEAD franken thing this weekend and I have no PJ wiring diagram.

But I have Extra Special Problems:

After pulling the P pups out of the wrapper (i bought them over a year ago) I find that the P pups have some extra wires in various pretty colors. Green, yellow and there are some funky nuts and screws on the underside. ***??

Both the P and J pups fit just fine in Fender bodies but they don't fit in the Ibby routes unless I take the covers off. Now what? Is there any way to secure them without the covers? I don't want to spend any money on more pups, I have a box full of pups already and it seems wasteful...
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Different manufacturers have different color codes but sounds like you just have a P set with 4 leads so you can wire them series or parallel or both if you switch them. Guitarelectronics.com has several manufacture color codes. Green, white, black, and red are what most of them are. Yellow's relatively uncommon but is a hot lead on the GSRs.

Screws with nuts sounds like they were meant to be attached to a pickgaurd - which may be why the cover won't fit cause I've never had a P pup that wouldn't fit the stock Ibe routing. The J's on the GSR's of mine I had to take a strong 1/16th off to get them to drop in. Typically, the covers are needed to hold the pups in place cause they contain the screw holes - just as on the stock Ibe's. The pup covers aren't necessary otherwise but you risk damaging the windings cause they're not protected - could possibly get a little more noise as well. I just used a small drill bit to shave the routing - pressing the side of it against the wall of the route. Width was okay but not long enough - a little off both ends to keep the pup centered. And mask the bass.
  3. cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    Thanks for the response. The screws with nuts are actually on the bottom of the pup. I believe they are adjustments for the pole pieces, which are adjustable by hex keys from the top. The screws do not protrude beyond the perimeters of the pup cover. The pups do not fit because the corners in the bdy route are actaully rounded. I need to make them square corners, which will mar the dark blue finish by exposing the wood,unfortunately.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    How far off are the pickup routes? If it's only a little bit, you might be able to round off the corners of the pickup covers to get them to fit, and avoid messing with the bass finish.

5. cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    Thats a great idea, actually!! Why didn't I think of that?[​IMG]

The P pups are only a little off, but the J pup is quite a bit off...