Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Peavey Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by treeguy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Hey all,

Saturday night, I played a Peavey Grind 5 string for the first time at a local music store. After playing it a while, I noticed that I was continually having to dampen the other strings when playing to keep them from vibrating (I paid close attention to make sure that it wasn't my fingers inadvertantly touching the other strings, so that's not it). It's pretty annoying to have all this extra sound coming from various stings when you're playing! For instance, I played a couple of notes on the G string only, and the E string would be vibrating without touching it! My question is, could this be a sting spacing issue, or could it be a nut problem, or maybe just crappy strings? I liked everything else about the bass, comfortable to play, nice sound, good neck, etc., but the string vibration was quite annoying. Has anyone else had this experience with other basses, or this particular bass? I'm hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sounds like a technique issue. Time to spend some practice time on muting techniques. Some basses are more "lively" than others and require more aggressive muting.

3. I can buy that, since I've never really been shown how to play "correctly", I just picked up the bass a number of years ago and taught myself. It just bothered me since I never have that problem out of my spectorcore 5 string. The strings did seem very lively, I don't know what they were but I wasn't a big fan of them anyway. Cheap strings could have been part of it.

4. Read the link I posted above. Plus, Adam has some other lessons on his website regarding technique. It's better to learn good technique now than to wait until later.

5. I appreciate it. It wasn't until recently, when I wanted to expand my playing ability, that I realized how important technique is. When I started playing (15 or so years ago in high school), I thought it was just a matter of grabbing the bass and playing! I'm quickly finding out that is not the case at all. I have a number of bad habbits that need to be broken.

6. I've been there. I didn't even know how to tune a bass when I first started playing... :rolleyes: :bag: