1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A pedal down memory lane!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:10 PM.

1. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    I put together my first pedal only a couple of years' back, having been pretty much a pedal 'agnostic' before then.

The rabbit hole was a pretty steep one :laugh:! I've bought and sold a LOT of pedals since then, 55 to be precise! So it's kinda interesting to look back on my first board and how it compares to my current one.

First pedal board
    PB - 1708 (first).
    Current pedal board
    PB - 1907 II.

What about you guys - what's your pedal board journey been like and what's the single biggest thing you've learned along the way?

What did your first pedal board look like and how does it compare to your current board?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 6:16 PM
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'm building my first board now :thumbsup: Still experimenting with placement

That hole is wide and deep :cool:

20190712_131433.
    (Yea, I know those little barrel connectors shouldn't be used.)

Al Krow, BrentSimons and Haroldo like this.
  3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'm looking forward to seeing what others post here. I bet a lot of first boards have some of the same pedals mine does, which isn't even finished yet and I already have a couple of upgrades in mind :laugh:

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    My first 'board' was a DOD FX69 Grunge and a big silver box EHX Small Stone like @catcauphonic shows on his. it was 1993-ish and I played guitar back then, though.

Al Krow likes this.
  5. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    So long ago I don't have a photo

Boss Compressor - Peavey Chorus - Boss PEQ3B

I can't remember the type of compressor but think it wasn't Bass specific model... The Peavey was blue with a squid guy footstomp.. The Brown Boss Parametric EQ I still have its a useful pedal.

Al Krow likes this.
  6. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    I’ve surmised its an endless quest.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  7. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    It wouldn't be...apart from the fact there always seems to be some bit of innovation to catch you off guard just as you're thinking: "yup finally I've sorted my pedal board out!!"

Which is exactly what I was smugly feeling yesterday. But today is another day and I'm already GAS'ing after the new Boss SY-1 pedal! I've even worked out exactly which pedal I can pretty easily manage without that should also just about cover the replacement cost!

So yup, you're right, maybe it's pretty endless. But at least it never gets dull! :laugh:

Cazman likes this.
  8. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Back at the dawn of time, my "pedal board" consisted of an HM2, an Arion MCH-2 chorus, and a Boss GE-7 EQ. All three of which were run off their own 9v batteries and were scavenged from friends for a couple bucks each coz I was a poor kid. I had no idea what any of them really did, but goddamnit I had pedals so that made me cool, right?

The chorus and EQ have been lost to time, but I still have that HM2 sitting broken in a box. If I were smarter, I'd try to fix it, however since I'm not I instead bought a clone, but FWIW, I'm still using an HM2. :)

Al Krow likes this.
  9. 20 yrs ago it was an MXR envelope filter (?? for guitar) & a Boss OC2. Now it's an MXR M288 (octave), & M82 (envelope filter). Just got them a week ago after having no effects for about 15 yrs. (I don't really count compression)

10. The more I play, the less I use pedals. I have a tuner, overdrive and reverb. I use the tuner all night, and the reverb once or twice an evening.