Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a pedal order question sort-of....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Mar 14, 2006.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I am not asking just for generic pedal order advice. I have read plenty of post on that and have read articles over the years about the various order you can put effects into.
    I am looking for specific advice though about how to place a new pedal I will receive this week along with one that I am currently using.
    Right now my pedals run as such:
    Bass -> Boss Tuner -> Morley Volume -> Digitech Synth -> CEB Chorus -> ART LevelAr -> Fulltone BassDrive -> Amp.

I am adding a Digitech Bass Squeeze.
    I like the LevelAr but don't the 'effect' that I have in mind with it so I am thinking that I would put it just after the Synth (I only use it as a filter) and use it in it's 'Limiter' mode simply to protect against any volume 'spikes'.
    Then I plan to try the Squeeze both before and after the Bass Drive. I am hoping that I can get a 'squashed' sound out of it. More of an 'effect' than a 'control' (which is how I describe the LevelAr).

Is there any obvious flaw with this or are there other options that are worth thinking about?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No obvious flaws. It's just a question of whether you like the Digitech unit. Let us know how it sounds!

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I get great 'squash' from my Boss CS-3 (knobs: 12:00, 3:00, 1:30, 1:00).

I've always put mine before distortion to get more of a synth-y sound from it. Just last night I was experimenting with this; I tried putting the compressor after the distortion, and also messed with putting the CEB-3 before the distortion - and went-back to squish-distort-chorus.

Yeah - let us know how that Digitech works!

Joe

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Y'know: the wierdest thing to me is that you put the Morely first.

Why's that?

Joe

5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    normally you put the wah after any time changing pedals which he isn't using so its not so weird. Depends what sound yout looking for.

6. the morley is a volume pedal...not a wah...and i think that the volume should either go first or last, both would be fine to me...

7. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    In response to the volume placement:

I agree with Super that it makes sense either first or last, depending on what you are looking for. If you place it last then obviously you are looking to totally control the final signal. If you put it first then you are controlling the amount of signal that is going to be pushed throuhg any pedals in your chain (some effects are going to have a different response based on the strength of the signal coming in --- I believe the BassDrive is like this).

With that being said, I specifically have it set like this because I play 2 radially different basses (a Precision & a 5 string Carvin). I bought the pedal thinking that I could use it in something of an A/B setup. That turned out to not be true b/c this particular pedal does not allow the signals to cross (A in = A out only, B in = B out only) -- bummer :(

Truth is, I have just been lazy about moving it aroud. I don't honestly have a stong preference for where it sits. Now I just use a Morley A/B/Y before any of it <forgot to mention that but don't think that it really figures into the picture overall>

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have tried many different combos and pedal order arrangments and have come torealize that the below noted order works the best for me. Each pedal is able to do what its supposed to in this order, noise is very minimal and it just seems to make sense:

1. Filters first as they are so dependant on plying dynamics and lose all their coolness when squashed by a compressor

2. Compressor, this is the best spot in my opinion for a comp as it helps to regulate the filters that came before it, does not mess up you overdrive or wah sounds and gives you all the punch and eveness of signal required to power the rest of youre chain.

3. wah I like it befire overdrives but others may disagree. With overdrive after wah the wah doesnt change the gain structure and can be heard easily. With high gain fuzz, having the wah before makes it hard to hear.

4. overdrive. placing it here allows you to cascade your od into a distortion of fuzz if you have one.

5. fuzz/distortion. putting an overdrive before a distortion can be downright magical. distortion before overdrive usually just squashes the effect of the od.

6. phaser, chorus, flanger. Modulation effects sound wonderfull after distortion or overdrive and just seem to make the most sense here

7. Delay. You tend to not want too much in the chain after delay. Putting it last allows the repeats to benefit from the effects that came before it and still sound clean and clear.

8. Boost. I run an MXR Micro Amp at the end of my chain with it set just below halfway. This seems to "awaken" my tone with just a mild boost. It really fills out the sound without actually changing the tone and restores any loss of signal you might encounter from such a large effects chain.

Thats my 2 cents. I could be wrong but I have 12 pedals in my board and I have virtually no loss of signal and have spent many nights tweaking the order of pedals to make the most of them all. Hope this helps in some way.

Bruce