Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A perfect circle is...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steve-O18, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    coming out with a new cd November 2nd!

I had no idea this was going on, it was a surprise when i got to read my e-mails today, very surprising.

For those of you who aren't in the apc fanclub, their first single will be a cover of John Lennon's Imagine... Has anybody else heard it? It's.. different, that's for sure.

Personally, i'm really excited to hear about this. This is just as good as a new Tool release announcement. :D

Anybody have any comments about this.. let's hear it.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Is james iha playing in the studio, or just on live stuff?

3. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm not too sure about that, maybe someone here knows.

Apparently this news has been out for quite a while, i just checked the website and found this, which dates from about a month ago.

"November 2nd, coinciding with the presidential election, APC will be releasing a collection of songs about WAR, PEACE, LOVE AND GREED, entitled "eMOTIVe." This week we will release one of these new songs entitled, "Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums," with an animated video poking fun at our fearless leader. Hopefully, you'll find it as entertaining as we do."

and that there will also be a dvd release entitled aMOTION that will be released as well as eMOTIVE

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i didn't buy the second album, but i might buy this one.

and i just realised i have no idea where my copy of mer de noms is!!! :(

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I first heard the cover yesterday afternoon, and had a friend capture the stream and convert it to MP3 for me so that I can listen to it over... and over... and over.

I think it's sheer genius. It's rare that a band can find the perfect balance of being true to the original vs. their personal sound and interpretation of it, both lyrically and musically in the effort of covering another artist's music. APC nailed it by a fairly simple chance in tonality - in the world which we're presently living in, the new music gives the lyrics "the same yet different" meaning/feeling. It brings tears to your eyes.

You can find the press release and tracklisting to eMOTIVe and a CD/DVD package of rare remixes and videos entitled "aMOTION" here

6. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I agree about the cover. it's wonderfully done, it took me a few listens to get used to it however, I still had the original in mind when I was listening to it. Not that this version is better.. they're both great in their own way.

Maynard's voice is amazing, he can really nail a cover, like you said.. Another song that comes to mind is 'the nurse who loved me'.. that was brilliant.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sorry, I'll be busy voting that day.

8. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Bah New tool would be much better. To me apc is Tool with bad bass. Come on the tone is so boomy it just sound horrible to me, its like the opposite of justin chanccellors tone

9. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To me, Tool is too-lengthy APC lacking melody and dynamics. ;) Actually, I like them both very much. I simply recognize them for what they are - different. If you view APC as simply "Tool with bad bass" I think you've missing out on a lot.

When I think of "boomy" I think reggae or Dub, neither of which APC comes remotely close to. You may not like their choice of tone (I happen to love it as a straight "picked rock bass" tone, but I love Chancellor's as well. It's not required that you dislike one to like the other) but to judge the entire band on the tone of the bass seems a bit silly to me.

It's hard to "imagine" saying this here, but tone rarely makes or breaks an album. I'd rather have great songs and adequate tone than the reverse.

10. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Priorities, man! ;) Have you not heard of this newfangled device called the "Interweb" - you can order the CD and have it delivered to your doorstep without leaving the house. It's ingenious!

Now, to saddle my horse so that I may trade with the indigenous peoples of the land... :D

11. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    agreed, twiggies tone is overwhelming.

12. My brother calls APC "Tool for Girls"... :ninja:

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Excellent!!! Can't wait to get it!!

14. mr_bungle

mr_bungle Guest

Aug 22, 2004
    Greenville, Mi
    What the hell are you on, man...

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like APC, although I thought the newest album was hit and miss. Some of those songs were waaayy too long given the material. Also, I really wish Tim Alexander was still with the band, he's a much more flavorful drummer. (IMO) BUT, Maynard may be doing some of his best work with APC, so that's cool.

I'm more annoyed with Twiggy's playing than his tone. Pretty uninspired in general IMO. My buddy saw them live and said Maynard and Freese were the only ones that nailed it down.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buy the second album. Its great.

17. Twiggy hasnt been with the band for very long, and he actually only played on about half of the A Thirteenth Step album, from what i read in a Bass Guitar interview. Maybe by this album he'll have had enough time to chill with the rest of the guys and get it down right.

I do agree that Justin's is a hell of a lot more unique and just fits in better with the material. Like the version of "Weak and Powerless" they did for the Underworld soundtrack... i dont remember who did the bass on that track, but overall, that song is THE perfect circle track, along with Judith. 3 Libras too maybe, but thats a more mellow vibe...

Anyways im hyped about the new release. And the DVD too. I havent been able to find either of my other discs, so this will be a great refresher for me... and now excuse me while i jam out to what tracks have left on my computer before my cds disappeared... :bassist:

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Tim Alexander from Primus played in APC? I didn't even know that.

19. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    For a short amount of time in the beginning stages of the band. From the A Perfect Circle.org FAQ:

"Another one of the original members of A Perfect Circle at the band's inception. He appears only on 'The Hollow.'

According to a radio interview, Billy mentioned how he didn't seem to be the right fit for the band. He was replaced by drummer Josh Freese in 1999."

IMO, I can't imagine APC without Josh Freese on drums. I love Herb's work with Primus and in other groups (his stint with Blue Man), but he's a bit too busy for the group. Josh just... fits.

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i shall pick it up soon :)

FYI everyone......

jeordie white's stage name in marilyn manson was twiggy. his real name, and the one he uses in APC is jeordie white :meh:

and why can't you get over the fact that APC is NOT tool?!
    paz lechantin was the bassist for mer de noms, justin has never had anything to do with the band! and why should he?

grr.