Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Perfect Circle - The Thirteenth Step

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SlavaF, Oct 6, 2003.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Wow, what a great album! IMO it is so much better overall than Mer De Noms. The first 4 songs, The Outsider and Pet are pure genius songs, and the rest is still awesome. I haven't felt this good about a CD since Dream Theater's 6DOIT :D

And I think that Jeordie White (Twiggy) did an excellent job on the bass on TTS, even though it's not too complex. Makes the moody songs moody and the rockers heavy.:bassist:

2. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I have to agree, i've been listening to this since i got it. Very moody, reminds me of Depeche Mode at times. I like Weak and Powerless, and Blue. Great album.

3. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I know its a cover but "The Nurse Who Loved Me" is my favorite song on TTS. But the whole album is overall pretty good.

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Who did that originally?

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Failure.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Will probably get it tonight.. I must admit I had reservations when I heard Twiggy was now the bassist, but I'll go on a little faith.. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it.

7. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I haven't been able to take it out of my stereo since I got it...its very good. I was hoping it wouldn't be Mer De Noms, part 2 and it isn't.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've gotta tell you; APC sounds NOTHING like Marylin Manson at all, and Twiggy seems to completely change gears here. I can't stand MM's music either, but even I was surprised when I found out it was Twiggy on the bass!:bassist:

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I suppose a lot of people were; just take a look at the TTS review section on the band's website; a lot of bashers are basing their criticisms on the fact that it's "not as heavy as MDN"...:meh: :rolleyes: I mean, if you wanna listen to Mer de Noms, then put in Mer de Noms and listen to it! I can't stand people that say "this album sucks because it's totally different from the last one"! I, for one, appreciate this awesome band progressing and covering new ground with each release!:cool: :bassist:

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Got it last night and I'm really liking it!!

Ummmmmmm... Why am I sensing a lot of negativity toward Mer de Noms here???? I thought that was an incredible disc.. :confused:

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Don't get me wrong, I'm not negative against MDN... I actually loved most of the disc. I just disagree with people that wanted TTS to be "Mer De Noms part 2". As I said before, I respect APC for moving on and delivering an album that's IMO better than Mer De Noms.:cool: :bassist:

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I scored mine last night... great disc!

I've said it about the first one and I'll say it again now... For me, APC is far deeper and more listenable then Tool. I really dig Jeordie's bass work & tones, I think he fits the band perfectly.

13. BarB Dwyer

BarB Dwyer

Jan 7, 2003
    Texas
    Tool and APC are two different bands. Also, Tool is very deep, but it all depends on how you perceive it. They constructed it so that you would take it however it fits you best, open for interpretation. I am going to buy TTS tomorrow when I get paid, yay! APC is a great band and I already have tickets reserved for the opening of their fall U.S. tour on Halloween in San Antonio, TX. RAWR!

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Very true... but since listening to Tool from their spawn to present day and seeing APC grow through these 2 releases, I find Billy Howerdel's compositions & arrangements 'deeper' then Tool's work IM very HO.

Lyrically both bands are just flavors of Maynard, I personally prefer him in APC.

(I've seen Tool 6 times, 3 of them being on Second stage at the 3rd Lalapolooza (AIC/Primus year), and only caught APC once in 2000.)

15. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    This has nothing to do with anything but there are a few times I wish I could listen to each instrumental track seperately; here, Tool and also Mudvayne.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love The Outsider, Pet, Blue, and Gravity in particular. The Noose is an interesting song, as well as the package.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    APC, Tool, and Mudvayne, my 3 fav bands, lol.

18. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    Yeah its a great album, its more complex then their first. They put on a great live show too.

BarB Dwyer: You know you're gonna have to post a review of the show. Wonder if they'll be in costume?

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I need to check out some Mudvayne.. I never have bothered because of all the hype surrounding them..

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I passed them over for the most part too. I caught the video for "Not Falling" on www.launch.com and soon ran out and bought the 2 discs. The vocals stop me from listening to them more then I do. Musically it's great stuff.