Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Perfect Circle

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DaemonBass, May 6, 2004.

1. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have been listening a lot to the first A Perfect Circle album, which was sent to me by my mother of all people. Hey, my mom is hip, she sent me the last Pantera album on my request :p and the first Godsmack album by recommendation. Come to think of it, a lot of my musical taste comes from my mother which is awesome. I grew up listening to Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, ect. At some point I even remember hearing first of Rage Against the Machine from her mouth. That and it was blasting on the tape player all the time :) .

I seem to have treaded off-topic, so let me find my place once again. Ah, yes, A Perfect Circle. Awesome band in my opinion. It's got Maynard on vocals who happens to be my favorite vocalist. Now the main point of my post which could have been the title: Paz Lenchantin. In one word, breathtaking. What can be said? Awe inspiring bass guitar work, tone to die for, and a great body to boot! Is it just me or has anyone else fallen into Paz rapture? ;) Killer band I might add, nice guitar work also very ethereal.

Anyone else have any comments about A Perfect Circle? I'd be happy to hear them all, positive or negative.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Isn't Paz playing with Zwan now?

I really dug the APC debut, but never got around to listen to the 2nd one.

3. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    To be honest I don't know. I only visited the Paz website once last month. Similiar to you, I also have only heard the first A Perfect Circle album. Due to finanical nonsense I can't really go buy the latest one yet, but it's good to hear she is still on it. Zwan you say? Care to enlighten me as to what style of music this is? I may consider buying it if Paz is playing on it.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Your mom sounds hot. PM me her phone number.

APC is ok, too. I thought the first album was about 60% good stuff, 40% filler. Haven't heard the second one yet, but I've heard its more experimental and subtle, which are my two favorite adjectives when it comes to music.

5. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah :spit: I don't think so. I agree in your assesment of 60% good stuff 40% filler though. I don't like every song but the majority are just plain good. They were on the Jay Leno show, heck maybe Letterman, not too long ago and they are very good live also. However Paz was not playing with them. I assume she is a very in-demand bassist and only plays on high-paying tours and recordings?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Zwan is Billy Corgan's new band after Smashing Pumpkins.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig the band.. either disc! I think it's the better band of Maynard's

I do prefer the second disc with Jordie on bass though.

8. My drummer can not stop talking about them. He seems to like both of their CD's. I have only heard a couple songs. Not really enough for me to form a good opinion.

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Eh,, the bass for APC leaves much to be desired IMO. I believe Billy Howerdel played a lot of the bass on both albums. Veerry rudimentary root playing, some odd placed accidentals (1/2 step up or down from root especially), and muddy tone. My drummer and I were getting chest pains from the "brrr" bass tone while listening to Mer de Noms through his truck's system. He also just saw APC live last month and said Jeordie played real weak, with thin tone as well.

......with that said, I do think Paz's string contributions are GREAT. If I remember correctly that's her primary scope of practice.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    not to take away from paz, who is by all mean an excellent musician, but she didnt play the bass on the first album or on the second. billy did all the bass work on the first album and jeordie did it on the 2nd. the 2nd disc IMO is different than the first, but i think it may be a bit better too. but i read on their site that they have a new bass and guitar player.... can anyone confirm or deny. maybe james and jeordie arent in the band anymore.

as far as maynard is concerned...nothing he does will ever top tool.

11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I thought that APC's second album was much better than their first. But both albums are good and Jeordie White aka 'Twiggy Ramirez' seems to fit well in the band. Even if he only plays bass on one or two songs on the actual album.

12. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    You are telling me that she didn't play Electric Bass on the first album? (She is credited). At any rate, I do agree that his vocals (Maynard), lyrics with Tool are more deep and disturbuting than all APC compared with straight Tool. However APC does not lose their edge.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    if i recall right, and you can read the credits and double check, it says what each person did on each track. as far as i knwo the only thin paz did in the studio for that band was sing and play some stringed instruments ie. viola, violin....

and if im not mistaken jeordie recorded all the bass parts on the 2nd album.

14. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Billy Corgan has already disbanded Zwan; I believe she's now playing in Papa M. My understanding is she tracked one or two songs on Mer De Noms, and played all of the violin parts.

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As far as Paz goes, I guess she's okay, but I was under the assumption as well that the bass parts were already recorded before she was named to the band. As far as APC goes, there's about a handfull of good songs at best on each album, and the rest is just "filler" to say it nicely. I prefer album #2 a bit more. I also prefer Twiggy's bass playing better than whoever did the first album. Bottom line Tool is the real-deal, APC is Tool-light at best on their heavy songs, and JC is 10 times the player of both bassists in APC.

16. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I stand corrected. For some reason I had imagined that Paz did all the bass work. I stand by my original opinion though because I see that she did the bass on "Sleeping Beauty" which is my favorite song on that album, aside from Judith.

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    that is correct. however i will say paz and jeordie, while they may not be the monster justin is, they are both good in their own ways.

18. I love Paz. *See av*

I just wish she played on "Thinking of you" The pick tone on that song gives me teh hardz.

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It always warm my heart when I find a player who has
    discovered the awesomeness of 'Search'. ;)

20. I can't tell if this is a shot or a compliment :bag: