1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Pickup Newbie's Advice Thread( thats me)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Past-Time, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Past-Time

Past-Time

Oct 1, 2006
    Ok; so, for some time I've been wanting to "trick out" my Yamaha RBX 170; and I want to get it new pickups. It has a split P pickup; and a jazz one...

I'm looking for people's opinions on what I should get;

AND

How I install them!

I'm not much of an electronics whiz; unfortunatly :(

Thanks in Advance!

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    What style of music is your fave?

3. Seymour Duncan p/ups- especially 1/4 pounders are a good bet IMHO they work for me in my hard rock band!

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Seymour Duncan makes a lot of different kinds of pickups, but I have to say, I've been impressed with every Duncan p'up I've ever tried. I have a Seymour Duncan Basslines 5-string dual-rail (SSB-5) in my Variax, and I *love* it. I used to have a Fender Strat with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers in it (the '59 and the Pearly Gates Plus) and loved those, too.

On the Duncan website, there are pretty good descriptions of the tone you'll get from each type of pickup. Options abound, especially if you're willing to route out the body.

Here's a link:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basses.shtml

5. Past-Time

Past-Time

Oct 1, 2006
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a throw-around beginner bass, a Yamaha RBX 170, that I'm planning to paint, then install new pickups.

My first question, is what pickups? I'm not sure of reliability of brands, whats the best, ect, and I was wondering what would be good pickups for this bass; a split P pickup and and jazz pickup.

My second is, how would I go about installing it? I know my way around the inside of my bass, but if its not a simple thing as unwiring the old pickups and putting in the new ones, should I find someone to do it for me?

I couldn't find any websites about this...

Thanks in Advance
    PT

6. Past-Time

Past-Time

Oct 1, 2006
    Way to go me... I just realized I posted a topic like this before. I hang my head in shame. Well, it only got one or two responses... maybe I'll get a new one here. :)

7. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    First, I would recommend Seymour Duncan basslines- quarter pound for the p, vintage hot stack for the j. They have a good punchy sound that will work for just about anything you want to play.

Second, if you aren't comfortable soldering, I would take it to somebody who is. Most luthiers charge a minimal amount (around $20) to install pickups.

8. The "best" - no such thing. The stickies for the Pickups & Electronics forum have comparisons.

If you're not confident, then ask someone who knows what they're doing to wire it.

9. I've been thinking about the exact same thing. My rbx170 was the first bass I owned and since then I've had a number of others including an MIM Jazz and currently a Cort GB74.
    But everytime I pick up the '170, it just feels right.

Considering that the overall construction is excellent and the fact that I enjoy playing it so much, I think I can justify upgrading it a bit. Currently I've replaced the black plastic knobs and added a Gotoh 201 bridge, but the pickups are proving to be a more difficult decision.

Currently, I'm looking at a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder at the neck and a SD Hot stack jazz pup at the bridge.
    The other option involves a Bartolini 8S P pickup and 9J#1 to replace the J pup.

I'm hearing alot of good things about the SD's, so that's the way I think I'll go.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I merged your two threads together.

11. Past-Time

Past-Time

Oct 1, 2006
    Thanks for the mergage and the help and the moving too:p. I can't believe I missed the pickup forum... Btw, here is a pic off the site of the bass.

Mine's red :).

Yeah, Duke, the 170 is great for a beginner bass, and I can't consider selling it, I've had too much fun! I'm planning to take off those black knobs too, they just... dont fit in somehow. I have lots of plans... :D