1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Pictorial Attemp: Re-glueing the fretboard to the neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by musicelectronix, Apr 3, 2009.


  1. musicelectronix

    musicelectronix

    Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    From this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517907

    Good info:

    BEFORE SHOTS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. musicelectronix

    musicelectronix

    Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    As suggested by 202dy, there is only one appropriate way to do a repair or at least you shouldn't cut corners. Eventhough I was 99% sure that the neck had an inward bow, first I repaired the fretboard before doing something about it. So, here is a pictorial, which I am sure would help some of you guys.

    Disclaimer: I am not a luthier, nor a qualified repair person. I am just handy with stuff like this and followed instructions that were posted here and some other internet sources. Do not attemp to do any of this unless you realize I can not be responsible for any damages and unless you are sure you have the neccessary skills, tools and patience.



    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the damage very clearly. This is a before shot.

    [​IMG]
    To clean the glue between seperated fretboard and neck, I heated this spatula that I got from Stewart-MacDonald. It is very flexible, but keeps its form nicely. Perfect for the job! As you can see, I just used basic household appliances :)

    [​IMG]

    Glue sticks on the hot spatula. Be careful not to heat it too much like I did. I accidentally burned the neck a little on my first try:) Also pay extra attention no to widen the crack. It only takes 10 min.s if you are very careful and slow :D

    [​IMG]
    As you can see, glue sticks nicely. Do not forget to clean it up before another round.


    [​IMG]

    Rest of the stuff I used. Two clamps, a water-soluble stronger-than-wood carpenter's glue (you don't need anything stronger than that. You don't need superglue, ultraglue, hyperglue, OMGglue, etc. Got it? :D It needs to be water-soluble, because you will need to clean it up. There need to be enough time before it bonds, so you can work on it) and two band clamps (What violin makers use to glue the fretboard to the neck. You don't want to use regular clamps here, because it is very important you apply even presure throughout the fretboard radius. Otherwise you need to "match" the radius before clamping it. VERY IMPORTANT)

    [​IMG]

    I put liberal amount of glue between two pieces and I forgot to take pictures while doing it. I basicly pour some on the spatula and work my way. I did seperate the pieces a little bit by thightening the truss rod. I am not sure if this was a good idea. In this picture, I used the band clamps AFTER taking any pressure from truss rod. One thing to mention, do not overtighten the bands or there won't be enough glue left inside to form a decent bond. I think the technical term is "starving the joint"

    [​IMG]
    I also clamped the neck on a flat surface. I didn't bend the neck and didn't change its geometry. I just set it to a place where it is supposed to be. I left it like this overnight.

    [​IMG]

    Oh, before leaving it overnight, I cleaned up some excess glue with the spatula. What a nice little tool!

    [​IMG]
    Ok, I can call it a success! Too bad the picture demonstrate this was out of focus! :) But this one should be good enough.

    [​IMG]
    I glued the nut and it seemed very strong. But my problems didn't end here. More on this later...
     

Share This Page