Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a piezo bridge...and what preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berme, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i´m interested in using an ETS piezo bridge, and i´d like a little information about what Bartolini preamp/buffers should i use with the piezo pickups.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  3. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    thanks a lot! that link to your web has really helped me understand piezo preamps, ultra-high impedance, and all that kind of stuff! Do you know some others webs with this kind of info? Bartolini has not so much info about piezo preamplification.

4. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yeah, Bart has always been a little thin on the documentation side. I would hope there are other sites with similar information, but I don't know of any. I'm glad what I have posted has helped. I assume you found the Preamp page at http://www.bobthebassguy.com/preamps.html with the explanations at the bottom of the page?

5. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    yes, i took a look to everything at your site:) It seems like heaven to double bassists! I also enjoyed the preamp reviews. i felt interested in piezo bridges when lintening to Victor Wooten and JT with his Conklins;) .Anyway, these out-of-the-bass preamps give me more questions than answers: would i need two cables to connect bass-preamp-amp, wouldn´t I? and other thing, would i have to remove my current active on-board preamp to use piezo preamps? Last, a blend knob for magnetic/piezo pickups will be a must, won´t it?:confused:

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    As far as two cables... you could use a stereo jack wired with the magnetic and piezo channels fed separately to a two channel preamp - K&K Sound makes a two channel preamp with a stereo input and blended mono output, which is used with the Bass Master Pro (www.bobthebassguy.com/bmaster.html). I use one with my homebuilt EUB, which has magnetic and piezo pickups. The only thing is, your bass' onboard preamp uses the current stereo jack to switch on the preamp battery, so that complicates matters.

To avoid that you could add a second jack and either bind two cables together or have two mono plugs in a Y-configuration to a 3 conductor cable (like a mic cable, which has two conductors plus the ground shield) end up in a stereo jack to go into the preamp, or separate 1/4" inputs to go into a preamp (piezo side) and then into a couple amp inputs. Also, special switching jacks are available, as included below.

GraphTech supplies all the components with the saddles in their "Tour Pack", including a special switching jack, blend pot, preamp, and other parts, along with the circuitry. There's a photo and a list of included parts at the bottom of the site with the Graphtech stuff: http://www.bobthebassguy.com/graphtech.html

If you want to see their instructions to give you some insight, I'll be glad to scan and email them to you as an attachment- just email me.

Definitely a lot of possibilities.