a place that offers interesting finishes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    does anybody know of a place that offers custom refinishing services? i want to liven up a black bass with some interesting colors and patterns but have no idea if there's a place that offers that.

and a related question: anyone know any good websites that sport pics of some crazy finishes on bass? i need some inspiration.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not sure how crazy you're wanting to go, but Pat Wilkins and the guys at Roxy do a lot o finish work. Carey Nordstrand does outstanding spray finishes, and Chris Benavente is starting to get into some neat sparkle-flame finishes (see Benavente NAMM photos for examples of this type of finish). Just keep on mind that some of these guys might not be able to help you out due to their busy work schedules. Also, if you're more into the look, as opposed to how the finish will impact the tone of the bass, you could always take your instrument to a custom graphics place (someone who paints hot-rods, choppers, etc.) and I'm sure they could do something for you...either with flames, tribal designs, or free-hand airbrush work. Good luck!
  3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thanks for the suggestions JPJ, i'll look into Roxy a little closer.

i'm still not really sure what i want...i was thinking something with black and red stripes...but still not sure...

any other suggestions?