Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A plan (your opinion requiered)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, May 5, 2004.

1. yes (good idea)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no (try something else)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Ok,I've been saving up for a while for a new amp.I'm eventully going to get the whole band thing going on.When I eventully get into a band I wanna look atleast somewhat pro (a couple of years,loud amp,decent bass,versatile/stand out skill) .
    I have fair skill and I'll be 4 years this holloween,I need a new amp though.So I got $445 now. I was thinking,what if I continue saving up and get a GK 400rb-IV head, and a GK SBX410 cab?There both like $490. I could save up and eventully get them. My BDay is on 6-17 so I'll make atleast under 200 bucks in the weeks after that .Sounds like a good plan??

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    No! Buy a Behringer 3000(whatever), a use Acme low B2. That'll leave you some m oney to buy a wah wah pedal....YMMV[​IMG]

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Completely off the subject although sort of relating to the above post, I'll probably be selling my Low B-2 ( 8 ohms ) soon. If anyone is interested, contact me at Ericman197@aol.com

For your purposes, the Acme is definetely a great cab... however, I've always been the first to admit that they're not loud enough. If you plan on playing loud gigs, you're going to either need at least 2 Low B-2s ( I prefer this sort of setup to 1 Low B-4... more cut with less weight ) with a lot of power behind them, or some average efficiency cabs.

If you're on a budget, Avatar would probably be the way to go. Although many recommend the 1x15" + 4x10" combo, personally, I've found that 12" speakers give the best compromise. My Avatar 2x12" is very loud and much more efficient than the Acme. Granted, it doesn't give the seismic lows... when I bridge the two, you can hear the Acme start to dominate on the low notes on the E and B whereas the Avatar cuts out. However, unless you're a 5 string dude, it's not going to be very noticable nor would it even necessarilly matter. The 1x15 will probably give you a little bit more bass and a longer throw, but keep in mind that it won't be nearly as efficient as 2 12" drivers, nor will it get the mids that a smaller driver can deliver. If you don't mind hauling a heavy cab and don't really need a flat signal down to the low B, the 4x10 is going to give a LOT more cut and overall output than the 2x12... but you will sacrifice some bass.

5. A GK rig will serve you well. We've had several pros purchase SBX cabs recently, and the 400RB has always been very popular.

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The 10" versus 12" versus 15" speaker has been debate at lengths here at this forum. The general consensus, 10's=punch, 15's=solid lows, 12's=somewhere in between, a middle ground if you will. I've owned all three kinds of speakers, and what I've found is it really depends on the manufacturer. My Eden 215XLT slams out the lows and has punch far beyond most 15's I've played. My EB Music Man HD212 cab went low, and had punch but to me wasn't and nice as my 215XLT. I also own an Eden 410T, this cab has punch and growl and is super efficient, but doesn't go as low as the other cabs (never had a problem handling the low D of my drop D tuning though). I've also played through an Avatar 410, pretty efficient, but lacked some of the punch and low end IMO. At one point I owned a GK 115 which had lows, but was muddy. I've owned a Laney 115 which was the other way, had punch but now lows. Another cab I owned for a short, short while was a Carvin 115, which was all around a bad cab. I've also owned a slew of others in the 10" and 12" category. It really depends on how much you want to spend, and what middle ground you want to achieve, what kind of music you are playing and the sound you are after. Any speaker will do, for the most part (excluding power and loudness requirements) but it's kind of what sound you're after. So there are general characteristics, but they are just that, generalizations, there are many cab makers who defy the generalization. A good example of this would be the Acmes, theoretically by the generalization, 10’s shouldn’t go as low as the Acmes do, but by being quality, attention to deal (tuning, box size, and such) they are able to achieve the ultra lows (fundamental low B) with a 10” speaker, most have something like a 10db roll or at 31hz. A good pointer would be to look around the used market; you get a much greater bang for the buck then if you were to buy new, and can almost always get something nicer then what you would have bought new for the same price. I waited and looked around and picked up my Eden 410T for $240 used in great condition. My EBMM HD212 I got for $300 barely used (maybe 6 months old with 3 or 4 hours use on it). Also try out as many cabs as you can before you decide on what you will be purchasing; this will better show my point as to the generalization of speaker sizes, quality between brands, and tone differences. Let your ears make the decision

I hope my long winded post helped,
    Peace
    -Ben

7. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Wow.Yeah, I have a 112 combo write now.I like 410's though.They just kinda have the "feel" to them I like.Sorta like a guy choosing between a P and J,it depends on the guy.
    I need a amp that can handle LOW freq. I like to play in low G# tuning,I know its weird, but its just my thing.I hope GK wont crackle on me.I can imagine the whole E string bieng a little quieter mabye,but I cant have an amp that wont allow me sound the way I sound,quake the ground the way I want to, and peirce cerebral cortexes the way I need to.(How that tiny little boxy sounding Laney 50watt combo handels it is beyond me)

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you want the LOW (as you said), I suggest going for the 1x15 and either 2x10s, or if you wanna get a fuller stack, get the 1x15 w/ the 4x10s. Enough for the long throw lows and definitely the punch you'll get from the mids.

I've had an Avatar 4x10s for a bit and can attest that they certainly do the job really well, whether or not you consider the price, but that is what makes them even better, IMO. Value priced enough brand new to get a 1x15 AND 4x10 while a lot of other choices would barely snag you one or the other (retail price).

Whatever brand you get though, like others have said, make sure you try out the exact cab regardless to make sure they do what YOU want them to do the way you want it done. My LOW may not be low enough for you.

-Transverz

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Is that G# below low B? If so, the Avatars will not handle that at all. Here's the specs. B210: 700 watts RMS, Enclosure is tuned to 63 Hz and -3dB is 76 Hz. B410: 1400 watts RMS, Enclosure is tuned to 65 Hz and the -3dB is 84 Hz. B212: 1000 watts RMS, Enclosure is tuned to 50 Hz and the -3db is 50 Hz. B115 (H): 600 watt RMS, Enclosure is tuned to 50 Hz and the -3dB is 50 Hz (same specs for the 115H, the H just means it has a horn). SB115: 600 watts RMS, Enclosure is tuned to 51 Hz and -3db is 64 Hz. SB112: 500 watts RMS, Enclosure is tuned to 50 Hz and the -3dB is 58 Hz. Those are the cab's that Avatar offers, if you look at the specs, the -3db is at anywhere from 64 Hz to 50 Hz with these cabs. A low B is 31 Hz, G# is 25 Hz, with the avatars you will basically be getting no sound out of them at this frequency. They are nice little cabs within their limits, but a low G# is asking way too much from them. You are going to have to look into a bi-amp system with a sub more then likely to be satisfied with your G# sharp tuning. Acmes are great for producing a fundamental B, but I hear that they get smoked if you take them below their tuning frequencies. The problem with such low tunings is you need lots of power to produce these notes efficiently, and the cabs you need to do this don't come cheap. I would say look into a 210 or a 410 and a sub to bi-amp with. This will give you the ground quake you are looking for. Also remember that even many subs aren’t very efficient, and need lots of juice, especially at 25 Hz.
    Peace
    -Ben