1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a player's voice vs a player's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dedpool1052, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    don't post threads often, but i've been genuinley curious what others think on the topic. i've hear people's comments about a player having a tone that makes them instantley recognizable in a recording and have heard similar comments citing a player having a "voice". is there a difference between a player's voice and their tone or are the one in the same?

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Did you ask the people who made these comments what they meant by their comments? :D

Personally I would say that "tone" relates only to the quality of sound, whereas "voice" might arguably include other factors such as rhythm, dynamics, note choice, improvisation, etc. (depending on the musical style). In other words what you are "saying" in the musical language (just as we might talk about a writer's "voice"). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writer's_voice

3. Voice... How you play.
    Tone... The sound of the noise you make.

I know I have tendencies when I play. Certain patterns and stuff. Similarities in riffs I come up with. That's my voice. My fingers + bass + amp + cab is my tone.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Didn't read the Wiki link but this is very well stated.

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Tone is part of your voice.

Your voice is what distinguishes you, makes you recognizable. It consists of your touch (tone) and your vocabulary (what harmonic choices you make). They are components of your musical world view (voice)

6. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Voice is the intangeable combination for any artist. Some don't have one and some can't even recognize it (including the listener). Some are born with it and some mature into it.
    Above all, you need to have something to say. This is the distinction.

7. Or possibly even

Tone: sound of music/instrument
    Voice: sound of the singer's er....voice.

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    What distinction, if any is there between voice and style?

9. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    There should be a tv show called 'The Tone'.

Panel:

Pino Palladino
    Flea
    John Taylor
    Esperanza

10. hunterred43

hunterred43

Aug 31, 2012
    I'm wondering if this is like the fingerprint of a person that you can't really change. How much of that is lost with today's heavy reliance on compression etc to even out musical dynamics.

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    For me my voice is what I use to express myself best musically. I have found my voice in the Electric Bass Guitar. Tone is yet one characteristic of my voice. Some players have developed over time their voice and their tone to the point of easy distinction. Hence a Stanley Clarke, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten. When they all started out even though phenominal players way back then, if you followed their careers when they were young players they sounded just like every other bass player. Over time they developed signature tones, playing styles, cliche's etc. Another bassist who is doing this is David Dyson. I'm sure there are many other players in other genres of music who are doing the same or have already done it. Flea would be another one.