Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Pleasent Surprise...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Ok, so i'm the kinda kid that likes modern and old rock and hard stuff like that, and some light guitar stuff. I play in a jazz band and symphonic band, so i get my diversity there but i dont really like playing in symphonic band. Now on Saturday night i got a ticket to go to a Yanni concert.. i was like "this is going to be gay"

I got there, and they started and HOLY #*%&!!! Instantly overwhelmed. I never really listened to yanni's orchestra much... So i never knew how good the people in that group were. Yanni didn't play much, he's gotten to be more a conductor these days i guess but he had an awsome orchestra with him! The drummer (charlie adams) was truely amazing, man could he fly. He had a 10 minute solo about half way through that was mind bogling, puts most other drummers in the world to shame. Then there were two violinists, Samvel Yervinyan and Sayaka *forgot her last name*, anyway, they were utterly insane, probably two of the best musicians i've ever seen. Their solos were incredible. There was an amazing bassist that played with them that slapped, popped and always had the right groove going.

Basically, if you've never been to a Yanni concert before, even if you don't like that kind of music, you should go, it's insane. There were a lot of old people there but I'm telling you, those were incredible musicians. It'll open your eyes to the real point in music and how devoted some people are, especially to be that good at an instrument. So guys, next time Yanni comes to your town, go to it, anyone would like it.

http://www.yanni.com/tour/musicians.asp <--- list of the people in the orchestra.

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yanni's music is awesome. No doubt there. The majority of people who crack on it generally have never even heard it.

I try to defend his music sometimes....but it's hard to defend a guy when his name is Yanni :smug:

3. True True

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yanni smokes. His band is incredible, and I believe he hires his orchestra in whatever town he's in, though I could be wrong on that point. Nevertheless, it would behoove musicians to go see him regardless of the genre they usually play, it's a true lesson in DYNAMICS (something many bands sadly lack).