Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A plectrum with fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by adamgottschalk, Mar 12, 2005.

1. adamgottschalk

adamgottschalk

Aug 24, 2003
    This is just a general poll-type question: who uses a pick with a fretless bass? I ask mainly because I hate the thought of using a pick, but still, the fact it can get a totally different sort of a sound than your finger is very clear. I've been listening to old Police recordings, and Sting clearly uses a pick sometimes, if not always. I don't use a bass with frets at all anymore. Just wondering how many use picks and how often. TIA.

2. The only one i was gunna say was Sting.

3. brossmac

brossmac

Mar 1, 2005
    Camas, WA
    Eeeew... If I could play like Sting, maybe. Occasionally if I want that sound I'll use the nail of my index finger (though only a downstroke). But that's REALLY rare.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    greg edwards in the early days of failure used a plec with his fretless. it was awsome. i do it. but i use my fingers too. just depends on what i was doing when i wrote the riff.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've done it when requested, but it's not my favorite way to approach the fretless.

6. adamgottschalk

adamgottschalk

Aug 24, 2003
    Thanks for the tip. That track from Trip Wamsley is pretty dern cool, and the reason behind his use of a pick is clear. Dig it.

7. Justin Chancellor used a pick on his fretless Wal when he recorded Lateralus.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Man, just do it. If the sound is good and you play it well, isn't that the point?

9. Kazuki

Kazuki

Aug 14, 2004
    Amen to that. That's the answer to many questions like that, actually :D

If it feels good and you like the sound... Then go for it :)