A plethora of n00b questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by airrore, Aug 10, 2005.

1. airrore

Aug 10, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Better to look stupid on the internet than in real life right?

I bet you've heard this story 1,000 times before.

I was a solid state player with all hartke gear... well... up until last week. For years... 6 years at this point... i only learned enough about rigs and such to make essentially amplified noise. However, last week my amp finally won the war with my cab and started eating myspeakers. This was an omen.

This also pushed me through my denial stage. My tone is awful and i cannot figure out the constant clipping problem. (besides it being inaudible... or off... when it didn't clip.. :p)

So i decided I'm going to stop lollipoppin' around and take a loan out to finance some gear. Amazingly, gear was the easy part. I've decided on the fender bassman 300, all tube and such with a ampeg 4x10 cab.

BUT, here's my sucka n00b questions:

active vs. passive inputs? under what circumstances do you use each one? Active input for active pickups i guess? (I play a stingray MM with 9V onboard power, and a vintage epiphone without)

Effects loops? (pre amp send and effects returns?) Not even sure how they work. I only use a digitech multi-effect, (it has one voice on it that i need for one song, otherwise it's bypassed) boss-bass (ODB-3) overdrive, and the boss limiter/enhancer, (which i might get rid of with this new amp) that i have intercepting a direct signal from bass to amp. (which could have been my clipping problem before)

I'd appreciate some input so after 6 years of playing, i can shed my novice status.
  2. active inputs are -10dB and normal inputs are 0dB, it basically means the higher signal from the active bass is put to the same level as used with a passive, so the preamp gets the same strength signal roughly, i dont find it too important really tho

effects loops arent always needed, ive never used them much, i always just stick my BDDI infront of the amp so-to-speak

if you want to use the loop tho just use an instrument cable from the pre amp send to the effect pedal input, then another one from the effect pedal output to the effects return, sometime they have an additional footswitch button you can use to turn the effect loop on or off, which is nice

hope that helps
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Welcome to TB :)

That's a pretty gnarly looking speaker. Your probably psyched about getting new gear. Are you set on the bassman 300? All tube is sweet, but requires more maintenence than SS or hybrid. Theres alot to choose from in your price range, and tons of knowledgable members here who can help you out. I've never used that head, so I don't know too much about it.

As far as active/passive inputs, you are correct. If you bass has an active preamp use the active input. Use the passive input for your epi. The inputs have different impedences for the two types of pickups.

Effects loop sends your signal out after the pre amp part of your amp (pre amp out), before it goes into the power section (effects return). You can run your effects in that loop, or in between your bass and the input. You might find certain effects work better in either signal chain. You can also use the pre amp out to run a seperate power amp if you need more power to run additional cabs. It allows you to use all the tone shaping capabilities of your pre amp, but power more speakers that your amp would be able to handle. Hope this is helpfull, good luck! :bassist:
  4. airrore

Aug 10, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks alot guys, that has been extremely helpful. Especially since That digitech pedal sucks with the exception of that one voice i used, this bassman has a foot switch, so i'll use that loop and I'll just put that voice on one channel.

Yeah, I'm super pumped about the new gear. After constant nagging from the guitar players in every band i've been in, (all tube players... mainly twin reverbs) and after hearing the Ampeg SVT-CL, I've decided that tube is the only way to go for me. The specs on the bassman are ELITE, and about $400 bucks less it seems.

Next question: What's to maintain with tube? (besides the tubes and fuses? which is enough right there) I'm assuming the tubes aren't cheap and i probably shouldn't attempt to replace them in myself...

Also, tube doesn't clip does it? (well, it does... but not like S/S does?)

43% is your u/n a dillinger reference? Our guitarist is in love with that band even though we don't sound anything like them. They've grown on me some.
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    yep, my name is a dep refrence. Fits my mental state pretty well...lol.

The maintenence I was reffering to replacing tubes and biasing. Not a huge deal. Definitelty don't replace them yourself if you don't know what your doing. Tube amps retain electic charges, even when not plugged in. Enough to seriously injure- so be carefull what your touching inside. I'd leave it to a tech.

From what I understand, When tube amps clip it creates overdrive, and sounds awesome. I don't think it will damage your speakers. However, when SS amps clip they create harmfull waves that will destory your speakers...might be what happened in your case. I believe its called square-wave distortion which is not cool with drivers.