1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Possible Dual Preamp Setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Hey folks,

I wanted to know what you guys might recommend if I were to run 2 preamps at the same time. I was thinking along these lines:

Demeter HBP-1 H Tube Preamp (clean)
    Tech 21 SansAmp RPM (clean boost, overdrive)

Any and all thoughts, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

:):bassist:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One consideration is how to switch between them. Some people buy or build a switcher box and put it in back of their rack; others just swap cables as needed; others run their preamps in series, one into the other. The series method is the easiest, but it also is prone to increased noise levels and makes EQ setting really tricky, since the entire processing of the first one goes through the second one.

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    the RPM has connectivity options that would allow you to run both of them together simultaneously in parallel. i do it with my RPM/RBI and it sounds very rich and complex.

those two might be an interesting combination. i'm going to get and AGRO one of these days to add to the mix.

JR

4. How is the RPM? I tried the RBI and it was fantastic, but I would prefer to have more control over my mids rather than a presence.

Also, I can't afford both the Demeter and SansAmp (at least not now) because I've only been playing a year, and I need to keep the costs for my new touring rig at a minimum. That said, would you folks recommend the HBP-1 or the RPM for starters?

Thanks again for your help folks.

5. I use a Coleman GT-6 Switcher to switch between my DB680/Bass Art Pre into my CA9.
    Works like a treat!

6. You can take the balanced outs from each preamp, and run them into a 1U mixer like a Rane. This will let you balance the output from each, and eliminate any impedance matching problems.

The downside is no foot switch.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have a Rane 1U mixer just sitting here if someone wants to try it. SM26 called the Swiss Army Knife of mixers. Quite amazing actually. PM me.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW the SM26 is unbalanced and the SM26B is balanced.

9. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    I am going to be doing a similar thing with a clean and an overdrive channel. The biggest question is how to switch them. I want a way to blend them together. with the SansAmp you can do that through the "blend" knob to get the mix you like. You can also A/B them

10. Thanks for all the advice guys, most appreciated.