a possible promotion at UPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 19, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've been working at UPS for three months now, unloading trucks for the Twilight sort, making $9.00 an hour, and a coworker, who is about to become a superviser, talked to me the other day about just the job in gnereal. I was surprised to find out that since my 30 days probation is up, I have the chance anytime now to submit a letter to management to be considered for a part time superviser position. I was even more surprised to learn that I would be put on salary of $1300 a month if so. :eek: That nearly two and a half times what I'm making now. This coworker assured me that the bosses have been pleased with my work, and even my superviser has said I'm one of the best he's got, so now I feel like I have a good shot of getting this job, if I'm patient enough. Go for it?

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, go for it.

Just dont damage my bass next time ;)
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Funny story is, last week we had 17 California loads (large loads full of residential packages from guess where), the first one I got one, I came across several Fender guitars heading to various music stores, one being Riks Music in Knoxville. Well I happen to come across one that was labeled Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I set it up against the wall and left it until I was finished with the truck, and then put it on the Irreg belt to ensure no damage. But what did I do when I came across a MIA '62 P-bass? Slammed it onto the extendo, and kept on working. Ha!

I wanted to run out with that Geddy so bad.

4. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, next step is they'll promote you to "Package integrity checker," or in other words that UPS guy who hits all the packages with a bassball bat and makes my life hell (of course they'll never admit he exists :scowl: )
  5. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Good job! Thats a solid gig. No outsourcing, salary, benefits. Hopefully it all works out for you.
  6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    They'll take you off the time clock and get a bunch of free
    overtime from you. Then you'll be making $7 an hour. Make
    sure you get all the details. A lot of corporations have been
    sued for overtime violations, including UPS. If you become
    an exempt manager or supervisor, you'll probably end up working a lot more hours with no overtime pay benefit.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hey! Where's my fretless Moses neck I've been waiting a week and a half for?! Huh? I think you have some explaining to do, young man.

Good luck with the gig. Go for it!
  8. Yup, and you gotta pay for you own insurance and other costs. so that 1,300 a month becomes about the same maybe even less than an hourly worker. Anyways anyone can become a part-time supervisor. All you need is to write a letter to HR. and thats it. Another thing is supervisors are not supposed to work: i.e handle packages. But chances are, you will be working, when your boss sends an hourly home to avoid paying overtime, you'll be working for free!

I'm just saying, talk to people and think about it. I've had buddies that became supervisors cause they thought they wouldn't have to lift a finger. And now I see them sweating more than me. And I'm making more money than them. Heck I have to lend them money so they can buy sodas.
  9. i say take it. (the job)

and the day before u are about to quit, call in sick, show up without anyone noticing, and take some 5 year olds birthday present out of the truck!!! HAHAHAHA that'll show those punks!!!!

10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well. I know that I will have to be there everyday 45 minutes before start time and then until the last package is out the door, which I've had to stay until before. I couldn't possibly be working any harder than I am now. I come out everyday, with my shirt completely soaked in sweat, as if I had jumped in a swimming pool. My van is starting to smell like ass because I leave my shirts in there and change after work. So having to get the job done is no problem for me. It looks like there is a bit of pressure.

The $1300 would do me very good. I already have insurance covered from my moms work, and I, of course, am still living at home, so I'm thinking of all the GAS relief.

11. haha, u said gas relief. :D
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, I was also employee of the month for my area, if that counts or helps for anything.
  13. xcental34x are you working in the primary, or in a boxline? Primary sups have it pretty good. The boxline ones are the ones that have it hard. Just be careful dude. If you really want it, then go for it. And like I said talk to people. Good luck.
  14. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm not familiar with primary and boxline. I'm gonna take a stab guess that primary would mean load and unload, and boxline would be like smalls, metro, and irreg.

15. Primary is the unload of the feeder trailers. The boxline is where the packages are loaded into the Brown trucks. Both of those are in the a.m shift which is called the pre-load.

Then theres the re-load, which is the loading of the feeder trailers, from the pickups of that the package driver pick up. This is the p.m. shift.

Which shift do you work at?
  16. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Twilight. You just used jargon that I haven't heard since training, so to go with the majority of trained UPS employees: Huh?