Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A possibly dumb question on two rigs I'm comparing.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Justyn, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Hi everyone,

So...I found this Workingman's Tower, and it's last year's model, so it's going for about $600 and Ihave to say I'm really getting addicted to it. The question I have relates to volume and sensitivity. According to SWR's website, the sensitivity of the Workingman's Tower is 93 db at 1w etc. etc. etc. This puts it below notoriously power hungry cabinets like the Acme low-B and low-B4. My question comes when comparing the Workingman's Tower to my current rig, which is an Eden WT-300 as a preamp into a QSC RMX1450 putting 450w a side into two 4ohm Eden cabinets, a 210XLT and a 212XLT. The sound is brilliant, but the question here is which will ultimately produce more clean volume. The Eden's have a really high sensitivity (103 for the 212 and 104 for the 210) so theoretically, they'd produce more volume at the same wattage, but there's also the question of number of speakers and surface area. If I sound confused and like I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking, you're right. The basic question here is whether I should grab the WM Tower and sell off one of my Edens then use the Tower for the larrger stuff and one of the Eden's for smaller stuff. What I'm looking for here is clean volume and I'm really nto sure what is ultimately responsible for volume and how that relates to sensitivity and wattage. Looking at surface area, an 8x10 will push more air than a 2x10 and a 2x12, right?
    OK...I'll try to make this simpler (as much for myself as for anyone slogging through this)...which do you think would be louder, the Eden rig, or the same head and power amp driving the WM Tower?

Thanks much,
    J.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Let me see if I remember this right... +10 db = twice as loud, so given the same amount of wattage the Eden's would be twice as loud as the Workingman, not accounting for speaker area. You have to double your wattage to raise your rig's volume by 3 db, and it takes about 10 times as much wattage to double the volume (10 db increase.) If the speaker surface areas of each cab were the same, I'm guessing it would take 4500 watts for the SWR to match the volume of the Edens at 450. To put it another way, using that Workingman with your amp would be like powering a more sensitive 8x10 with 45 watts. Divided among 8 speakers and a tweeter, that's less than 5 watts per speaker. Maybe you can bridge the QSC, but you'll still only have 1200 or so watts, equivalent to 120 with Eden speakers.

On paper, the Eden stack seems like it would be many times louder. But the only way to tell is to try them both at high volumes. Judging by the quality of the Workingman stuff I've used, I wouldn't be surprised if that "clean" tone became extremely farty or honky at high volumes. And with sensitivity specs like that, I doubt you could get very much volume out of it at all. They have to sell workingman towers to rock musicians somehow (I don't think jazz musicians will be buying these things, if they weigh 110 lbs and they're quieter than a pair of Acme b4's,) so I'm guessing there's more to their volume than what you can express on paper.