A post for newbies... and newbies at heart.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I'm hoping this is OK with the mods, I just need to get something off my chest about this forum.

I am not anti-tab. Me and tab we go way back, we haven't talked much lately... but we go back. So this isn't an anti-tab post.

Most of the replies on this forum seem to be "that song is easy, figure it out yourself."

I totally agree.

Most of these songs are very simple and with 10 minutes of your time, you could figure out the entire song by ear. Which just so you all know is a good thing, it builds a strong ear which really helps in the long run, so I totally advise it.

Now that it's been said, I don't think it needs to be said anymore. This is not the general instruction forum, what these fine ladies and gentlemen want is tabs by the barrel full. If you don't have directions to their tab, or the tab itself, don't bother replying with the "figure it out yourself bit." It doesn't work. When I was a tab kid, I ignored this advice over and over again, but I got better. :D Tabs are a start, as you mature as a musicians you tend to move on. Let them have there tabs, they'll see the light.
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I have yet to see a tab that was anywhere near accurate.
    Simple example:
    Look at the tab for "Gimme some lovin" - Spencer Davis Group on this very web site!
    One of the simplest bass lines going and the guy who tabbed it can't even get that right!

At least he's put a disclaimer at the end of it that "I'm not sure what key it's in" !!!!
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hahahaha, that's fantastic. I swear I can look at a lot of tabs, be nowhere near my bass and tell that the tab is horribly wrong.

This is why I recommend guitar pro to all tab users (boy guitar pro should pay me to promote guitar pro, I've turned so many people on to it).
  4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    I was a drummer for 25 years and always played by ear,when i first started out i could read OK.but when times got tuff my dad was'nt able to support my lessons so i became a EAR player.John Bonham taught me everyday on how to be the best drummer that i could be,and once i got the hang of it we said our good-bye's and only in concert did we meet again(R.I.P John Henry Bonham)Now that i am a bass player in name only i can no longer listen to songs and figure what the hell is going on,its not the same as drumming and though its getting easier to "HEAR" some bass lines ,most are in-audible to me:bawl: .The only tableture does is put me on the path,and only if i know the song greatly does it help.I am struggling to figure out bass lines from songs.i have been playing for 1 1/2 years and i have a decent arsenal of my own licks and lines,and you would think i was really good for the amount of time i have been playing,But i cant for the life of me figure out songs.I HATE IT ! If i did'nt have so much money invested in basses i would burn them to ashes,but i'm not one to turn tail and hide from an challenge.Tabs are all i got to connect me to music,and even thats exaggerating.It took me 6 months to figure out Dazed and Confused on bass,while i learned Tom Sawyer on drums in 15 mins(includind memorizing all the fills and timeing sigs)Bass has truely won this round.:(
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    hey geezer, keep rockin. I have found tabs to be helpful usually, unless they are completey wrong which is true more often than we might think.

i use tabs b/c it saves me time instead of going "what the hell note was that?" i agree that often, especially on older albums, bass is hard to hear never mind tab out. i am learning Mothers Little Helper by the rolling stones and i find it difficult to hear the bass on that song. w/o the tab off the net it would be a lot harder. as it is i am just using parts of the tab and writing out the rest myself. i hope i am not breaking some "unwritten rule" but as long as it sounds good i dont care. i am sure some purists would say to only play the exact notes... whatever blows your hair back.
  6. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    What helped me was when I JUST started playing, I got some easy tabs so I could get the fell for the bass. Then I went on playing by ear. That helped me by 1000x!
  7. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    i'll usually find a tab and while trying to play along with a song hear something not right in the tab, and fix the tab. _-_
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I used to use tabs all the time...

And now that I can read music, tabs are german to me.
  9. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
  10. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Without tab I'd be lost. I have no music training and a poor ear (for now). The tab's give me a starting place to figure out what to do with the song.
  11. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    From the thread I'll chance a summary that I think we agree on: Tabs are an aid, not a crutch.

Use them to help and they work, lean on them and they break. The more complex the song, the less useful they are. And like most tools, there are some cheap ones that don't work very well at all.
  12. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Huh?! How exactly? IMO the contrary is right - its very difficult to decipher a complex riff running on the background...
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How about "... the more complex the song, the more help an accurate and thorough tab can be...". Mind you, the more complex the song, the more useful it will be to spend time practising it on your bass rather than surfing the net and hoping you can show up to rehearsal with a bunch of tabs you printed out ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK - so let's be practical....There are only 11 notes that it could be - so how long does it take you, to try each one and see which it is? Five minutes - tops?

So how long does it take you to switch on the computer, fire up Explorer and Google, search for Tabs, find the one you want - if it's there at all? Find it's maybe innacurate or wrong. Then go to TB and ask people to help you out - wait a few hours for replies... etc etc.

Come on - there is no way the second process can be saving you any time!! :meh:
  15. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends whether you're looking for just one note or trying to figure out a whole song. I enjoy the process of transcribing basslines and I think it's helped me grow as a musician but it normally takes me more than five minutes unless the part is very easy.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Of course - but for me, what takes time, is getting the rhythmic part right - and 99.9% of Tab on the net is no help with this!

My point is that if you are looking for the pitch of an odd note here or there, (as the poster was implying) then looking for Tab on the net, is not going to save you time.
  17. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England

Well, Duh.
  18. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Bruce, I agree with you in theory.
    For me, at least, I have a really hard time picking out notes from a recording. I have an even harder time reconcilling what I hear with what I play. The tabs get get me in the ballpark . Like you say I still have to figure rythm etc. If I were to try and figure out a song just by ear (I have tried a couple of times) I can hardly get the first note in 15 - 20 minutes. I am getting better but in the meantime I ned a bit of help.