1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A potecialy bass fingerboard style changing idea

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ClaytonH, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I just had this idea that could change the face of freting necks for ever.
    Come close and listen...

Half Frets!

A fingerboard that the frets are horizontaly cut in half so under 2 strings it is freted and the other two are fretless.

I dont know if this has been done already. If someone has a cheape neck laying around that is unused and has a fingerboard on it. the shoot me a pm so i can make a prototype of my idea.

2. Ibanez did something close to this back in the 80's. They built a Musician Bass that was fretted up to the 12th fret, and then fretless the rest of the way up the neck. They didn't sell too many of them and they were discontinued in short order.

3. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    not anything like my idea. Ok, letme explain this idea. normaly, a fret gose all the way across the fret board. But with my idea the frets only go halfway under the E & A strings but fretless under D & G.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Been done by several people.

Also, there's a current patent on doing it with the fretless area(s) raised up to the level of the crowns of the frets.

There have also been an eight-string, four fretted EADG and four fretless EADG, and one non-repeat eight string with the first two and last two strings fretted, and the middle four fretless.

5. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    May I ask what would be the point of frets on the E and A but not on the D and G? I don't get it. I'm trying to, but I don't.

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Depends on the person, I guess. Maybe a desire to always have perfect intonation when "playing bass," but to also be expressive on fills.

On the hybrid 7 that M. Keith linked to, I would guess intonation on low notes, slapability on high notes (not that you can't slap a fretless), and expression in the middle. Maybe.

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    speaking of slap on a fretless, anyone have any sound samples/pics/videos of a fretless with a slap fret at the end of the fingerboard? does the top of the fret have to be the same hight as the top of the finderboard, or slightly lower/higher? Should it be at a point where a fret would be, or does that matter?

as far as the 1/2 fret goes, it doesn't seem very practical. someone have a clip that shows for what purpose it would be better than a bass that is fully fretted or fully frettless?

10. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Aww fidle sticks! I thought that this could make me famous like Leo Fender.