1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a power supply question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rickenbaker, Aug 30, 2008.

1. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    I just got back from my local guitar shop where I got my first set of flats(fender, but that's another thread). I then asked the guy who was putting them on, if they had any power supplies. He asked me what for and I said for a mosfet full-tone bass drive and said that he didn't have any for that.The wasy he acted it was if there are seperate power supplies for bass effects and guitar effects, but through the research I've done(not alot mind you) it shouldn't matter what kind I get. Am I wrong and if so could you guys recomend me a supply

2. Any 9v (or 18v with the bassdrive IIRC) will power bass or guitar pedals alike.

T-rex Fuel Tank, Dunlop DC Brick, Voodoo Labs PP2, Godlyke 1-spot, Boss PSA.....either one will do the trick!

And imagine that: a music store employee that doens't know what he's talking about....what'd you know...

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The Bassdrive can run on any ordinary Boss-style 9VDC adapter. And it can even do MXR-style 18VDC adapters (it's one of those unusual pedals which can support a range of voltages).

So yeah... the employee is oblivious to reality. But it's not surprising, since most of them buy into the claims by Boss and other similar manufacturers that only their own supplies could possibly work. :meh:

If you need the exact specs... 9VDC, regulated, 2.1mm barrel, center-negative. In other words, the same exact specs as a Boss pedal (and most pedals, for that matter).

Current-wise, it's an analog OD... it barely uses anything. You could get away with a 50mA adapter if you wanted! :D

As for a supply recommendation... what else are you using? Sometimes, an odd pedal in your setup may require you to get a more expensive supply.

4. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    I'm only using the bass-drive(my first effect wouldn't you know). I mean I appreciate this guy(whenever I get my strings changed he puts 'em on and sets it up, but I knew I was right I just didn't want to seem like a dumbass(which they seem to treat like I am anyway, becasue I am only seventeen, but I probably knew almost as much about basses as they do) and insist for a power supply. I can always order over the internet and then no human interaction is neccesary:D

5. I just got a visual-sound 1spot recently, and I couldn't be happier (although some people don't like them as much as more expensive solutions for powering multiple pedals). This post will probably sound like an ad for them, but I have no affiliation with the company - I just love the 1spot compared to my previous pedal powering solution, which was the built-in supply in a Warwick Rockcase Gigboard, which was always dodgy, used to overload occasionally and now overloads even with one pedal plugged in...

The 1spot is cheap, reasonably robust, large amount of current available (not that you need it with just one pedal, but hang around here for a while and you'll end up like me, with 17 on the board and it powers them all with no problems at all), adapters available (and cheap) for different plug types and battery clips, and the company even gives a proportion of profits to an HIV charity in Africa (which I didn't know about until I received my 1spot, but which I think is pretty cool of them to do).

Some people running large daisy-chain setups have problems with noise (I don't with my current setup), and the 1spot does not supply pedals with different voltage requirements (I have a 12V adapter for the micro-mixer on my board). But you need to spend a lot more than the cost of a 1spot to overcome those issues.

So I'd suggest a 1spot.
    Steve