1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A powered cabinet for my Enabler

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindwell, Aug 24, 2016.

1. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I love the tone of my 3Leaf Enabler and want to be able to make more use of it as the front end for a grab-and-go single powered cab rig, for guitar/bass/drums practice and occasional upright. I'd like to keep weight at or under 50 lbs, but I might could go up to mid-60 lb range. I've checked out the GK powered line and they're good, though I think I'd like a bit more robustness. What other powered cabs can my fellow TB'ers speak about from experience?

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If you've got the funds, Barefaced FR800 is something that looks like it'd be a great option.

I thought the GK ones weren't stand-alone, but needed to be driven/connected with another amp/cab from their product line.

image.

mindwell likes this.
  3. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    That Barefaced--wow. Powered cab to end all powered cabs. And a street price to perhaps end my marriage.

As for question about connectivity with non-GK units, in this thread, Bob Gallien says that any preamp needs +10db of output to drive the cabinet. His exact words:

"The MBP is designed to work with our MB combos. We do not recommend any other use. If you want to use another source you will need +10dBu true balanced and you will not have a limiter."

So I guess non-GK functionality really depends on what preamp or pedal you're running. The Enabler has huge freaking gain out of the balanced output; 50 ohms according to the manual, so who knows.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-new-mbp-powered-enclosures-more-info-please.734173/page-4

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Accugroove and Michael Arnopol Soundworks now offer powered cabs. Wayne Jones as well. Cant go wrong with any of that gear.

DaveAceofBass and mindwell like this.