A prayer for sanity....(just saw my old bass on ebay)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike milner, Feb 27, 2003.

1. I just saw my old bass on ebay, it is an early 80's Tokai fretlass Jazz copy of Jaco's Fender. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw the bids.....the reason I sold the bass last year was that I played a MIM Fender Jazz that was superior in every way; tone, action, finish, you name it.

Is it just me or is everyone out there searching for that "holy grail", that $250 bass that is better than the original expensive (usually American) instrument it was copied from? Don't people realize that the reason the Tokai basses sold for so little money was that they were cheaply made. They were a good $250 bass, but they were still a $250 bass.

I am hoping for a sense of balance and sanity to return to the bass buying public, pls don't be sucked in by rumours and fables. If someone ends up buying the bass for anywhere near the current bids, they are wasting their money.

I suppose I could have hyped it myself and sold it, but then again I like to be able to look at myself in the mirror.
  2. i think i saw that. looked nice, but not wow-that-bass-is-out-of-this-world good. what're the bids at, anyway?
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Wow, that's nuts. And I thought those people bidding almost $500 this week for those Michael Kelly acoustic basses were getting ripped off...
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

Ok, Not only is the pice ridiculous but look at that LOGO! That thing is....wow, all I can say is wow.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While I can understand your sentiments, I'd hope that worrying about what this bass sells for is way down the list of things to create angst.

The bass is being sold as what it is, right? Any deception? Who sets the price for it?

That's right, the market. You might want to consider that just because it didn't blow your skirt up, it could easily be exactly what someone else is looking for.

Just something to consider. I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned about what other people are spending their money on. If you got what you wanted out of it, cool. If I bought this bass from you, put it on eBay and it drew higher bids than I expected, I'd have absolutlely no problem looking in the mirror afterwards. I can't say I understand why you would either. No one has been blackmailed or forced to bid under any duress.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What's the problem with the logo...isn't it the original one?

So far the bids are ~$800 for a pretty rare bass. The older Tokais I've played were pretty nice.

I think the problem here is that some may not know the market.
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I first saw that I couldn't help but wonder how much work went into making "Tokai" look like "Fender" on first glance. Somebody tried hard. And succeeded.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've had several 80's Tokai Jazz's and P's and every one of them were very high quality. I wouldn't spend what this one I eBay fetched but they are every bit as good or not better than any Fender I've ever owned (MIA, MIJ or MIM).

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    At the time, Tokais were considered superior to what was coming from Fender.

I wouldn't buy one for that price either* but I can see why someone would.

*I'd be looking for a Fodera instead;)
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So *you* are the one that posted that on bassgear :D
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    and knowing the way he works his deals, he'll get one!
  12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nope... don't have one and not looking for one:)
  13. Hey Brad, don't get me wrong, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I agree completely, if you want it, it's your money and be my guest.

The point I am trying to make, which you seem to have overlooked, is that anytime somebody says here is deal that is too good to be true, it usually is.

IMHO, I am qualified to say whatever I want about the bass, because I owned it for almost 20 years. I have developed a healthy degree of scepticism over the years concerning the "next big thing", especially when it comes to people saying that a inexpensive copy of a pre CBS Fender is as good or better than what Leo was building back in the early 60's.

Lots of people like Tokais, and if that is their dream axe, all the more power to them. I just think consumers should be empowered to make informed decisions, and realize that just because they "heard something," it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Peace brothers
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes I know 'twas a joke. :)
  15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    as far as i have seen, lawsuit basses can be just as rare and unique to collectors as the real things...

i have played some knock-offs that rivalled the originals as well... essex and fender, tokai and fender. personally, i'd take an ibanez lawsuit over a real rick any day but that's just me and my opinion... ;)

and no, not everybody knows the market. i sold a steinie spirit for $400 used... no deception or overt shadiness on my part. as always i was very honest in the description and pix and that's just what it went for. i was quite surprised but also pleased that i made such a profit... (i paid $289 used at the bass palace) :eek:
  17. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the link claims the seller ended early...hmmm. Ok, who bought it?;)
  18. No shortage of opinions over here.....

My best wishes to the new owner, hope it is exactly what they want and they get all the playing pleasure they want from it.

Peace everyone.