Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A pre-amp / power amp worthy of a Schroeder Bass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdagger, Dec 16, 2004.

1. jdagger

jdagger

Nov 21, 2004
    Hi All , I just found this site. I hope this is a good place to post my inquiry. If not foregive me, I am a newbie. I am looking for advice on a power amp / pre amp config that is worthy of a Schroeder 1210 (soon to be a pair of them)

First I have to say that Jorg makes the greatest of cabinets. I just got mine and it is every bit as awesome as everyone told me it would be. The Schroeder cab makes even my current rigs (Hartke 3500 and SWR combo) sound better than they have ever sounded, but the dilima is that they are getting a bit long on the tooth, and are capable of only handling 4 ohm loads max. It's time for me to upgrade them and I want to upgrade to a separate pre-amp and power amp rack-mount rig.

I play mostly blues, rock, country, and funk style and do mostly small to medium size bar and private party kind of gigs.

I would be interested in hearing from anybody that is currently playing on Schroeder cabs as to what they are using and how they have the rigs configured. Actually all opinions are valued but I am definitely buying another Schroeder cab so the front end amplification for two 4 ohm cabs is my main interest.

Thanks !!!

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Can't go wrong with a Read Purity and a PLX or Stewart, IMHO.

3. Yeah. Hi fi pre and a PLX or Stewert are probably the best things you could use.

Although some other pres would be good. I bet an SVP would sound great through a Schroeder.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    As for preamps, I will soon be able to compare an Ampeg SVP-Pro and a GK 2001RBP. The Ampeg sounds great through the 1210 cab.

As for poweramps, I can offer some advice here. I would get a QSC PLX 3402. That way you can run one cab on each side of the amp, giving each cab 1100 watts, which is perfect for a little headroom (cabs are rated at 850 watts I believe).

I have a PLX 2402 and it works ok in stereo (700w) but I clip the amp a little at high volumes which is not good for the speakers. I can run in bridged and get lots of extra headroom but thats only with one cab.

5. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    If you're lookin for super-clean and super-clear, I've got an EBS preamp for sale in the classifieds section.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There are so many nice preamps out there now, you will just have to find one that has a tonality you like. I mostly use a Demeter/QSCPLX with my 1210.......very lightweight and very nice tone......to me anyway ;)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I either run

1.) a single 1210 or 1212 with a Yamaha pre into a Crown CE1000 bridged.
    2.) the pair with same amp and each cab taking a side
    3.) a single 1210 or 1212 with a Peavey all tube head (over 400 clean watts) @ 4 ohms
    4.) the pair wired series for an 8 ohm load... beauty of a tube power section is you don't loose output when raising the ohms

I LOVE the 1212 and 1210 together.... works well for my tone

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I use a Demeter VTBP-201S + PLX1602 with my Schroeder 410 -- has a very tight, punchy sound (I wouldn't mind having more power, but maybe I'm just crazy -- no shortage of volume so far and I've done a couple of outdoor gigs -- I just prefer the feeling that my amp is just loafing along while shaking the plaster off walls).

The Read Purity is a great preamp as well.
    There are plenty of good preamps, so it's mostly a matter of matching your taste in tone (taking into consideration the other components, but the main tone influencers are the bass guitar, preamp, and speakers).

As far as power amps, if you intend to get two 1210, consider a stereo power amp that has plenty of power per channel at 4ohm.

You might also consider an integrated amp that can do 2ohm with plenty of power (like an EA iAmp-800).

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I have the Vote CREST Power amps, but you can't go wrong with what’s already stated as well as Crown.

Don't cheat your self on a quality Power amp because preamps will come and go, but the quality power amp will last you and always be your power source and foundation.

Preamps I like;
    True-Voice Pre !!!
    Kern Pre
    Trace Elliot V-Type
    Ampeg SVPCL
    Demeter pre

10. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I'm selling an Aguilar DB 680 pre. It's my favorite preamp. I'm only selling because of financial woes. Right click my name and send me a private message if you're interested in discussing further.

11. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Mine loves a Demeter HPB1 Preamp powered with a Crown XLS 1500 amp. Using a Schroeder 12 12 L can and an Epifani 3-10 UL - But a Schroeder 12PL cab is in the works.
    2014-09-16_17-57-16_706.jpg