1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Preamp like the Peavey Max Tube Bass Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, Mar 7, 2013.

1. I've had trouble finding a certain preamp, if at all, for cheap. This looks like a great pre but just isn't very available. Are there any other preamps like it?

2. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    The Peavey Max sure has gained respect in certain circles. Might be worth just waiting!

Other options that get loads of respect are the channel strips on the market like Presonus and the ART Prochannel. The channel strips typically are equipped with pretty flexible eq, a compressor and plenty of output to drive a power amp to full level.

The Yamaha PB-1 and BBE BMAX are bass centric preamps that get a lot of respect and are easy to find for a good price.

Johnk_10 authored a thread a few years back where he recorded numerous preamps. It is something worth hunting down. I learned something important through taking the time to listen critically to the clips John recorded in that thread - anything he tried made a perfectly workable real world tone.

Jim

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  4. I used a borrowed Peavey Max Tube/SS preamp in the studio last year and it totally delivered the goods.
    Found one at my go-to used gear shop a few months ago for $79, and I have to say that I still would have bought it for $200 despite the crossover "Blend" knob's split-shaft being half-missing. Not being "knob-able" anymore saved me money.

I'll agree with Interceptor's advice that the newer ART and PreSonus preamps are good choices, since they were the only other pre's on my shopping list. The added compressors and extensive EQs are great features that I would have loved to exploit, but money is tight right now. Some day...

You can't go wrong either way.
    The Peavey Max preamp is a great value.

Timm Grimm likes this.
  5. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    Been using Peavey Max Pre for awhile and love it. Great tones imho and crossover good for biamp rigs.

6. NO WAY on the Musebox. $1000?

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Valve side of the Peavey pre is pretty standard Fender styley, so the Alembic BBE, and Trace V-type are all similar, the ton of other options might be bit harder.

8. Anyone else?

9. The muse box is literally a computer for using VSTs an stuff. It's designed for guitar and bass players that want to use plugins like guitar rig, amplitude, pod farm an stuff like that or keyboard players that have a midi controller keyboard and want to play live without bringing a laptop.

There are tons of great pre amps out there for decent prices. The discontinued ampeg pre amps are nice, the upper end sans amps are nice, you could go eden, EBS, or aguilar. I had the 1 space peavey pre back in the late 90s it got me through a years worth of shows before i went a different route.

10. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    The Max is crazy cool. I paid map for mine because I had a feeling they would discontinue it. I have Demeter, Ampeg, BBE, GT(SWR) and Tech 21 pres and the Peavey stands up to all of them. Check also TB Raxx and Alphatube, both killer Peavey pres.