1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a pretty "Good" deal for a 1953 P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, May 4, 2010.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
  3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I agree - although I have to say, of all the factors of something to be unoriginal in a bass (to score a deal) a refin is the top of the list for me - makes no difference in sound or playability, generally...

Anyways, just thought it was a good price. maybe someone here will want it (and it's not mine, duh)

4. Nah you can get a correct but worn one for around 10,000$ if you look, i would not buy that one.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Electronics are an issue, too. BTW, I have heard that essentially all the old fiber bridge saddles are replacements, or are about to crumble.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Some stuff that doesn't add up on that, starting with the claim that it's a '53, which is just barely possible.

Best possible situation: Original with a really inept refinish.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Why?

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Does the body's wood grain bother you? How about the presence of a slight upper contour? Bridge saddle intonation screws?

The serial number on the bridge is a '53 or '54 serial number, according to the Provide.net web pages.

"Pbass, Numbers on Bridge Plate...0001 to 0999 = 1952 to 1954"

It is obviously a poor refin' including the neck. The pics are poor and far too few. We would need to see pics of all body cavities and of all the stamps, writing, wiring, etc. to assess it.

9. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Yes, that's a refin. I've seen pix of dozens and dozens of early Fender Tele's and slab Precisions with the blond finish and none have looked like that.

The TG initials on the neck look right. I don't recognize the 52 signature on the body but I'd say given the other items that seem to be correct, the body is probably legit, too. I assume the guy that proudly signed the neck pocket in 1962 was the one who refinned it.

The guard looks legit from the pix. Hard to tell unless you see it in person, tho.

Bridge is right. And those saddles look like proper originals.

The pots and cap (and the extra resistor) looks like the ones I've seen on other early slabs.

I can't really tell if somebody made a little forearm contour, but that would be a modification. They stay slab until sometime in 54, I believe.

I'd like to see the pickup. I'd like to see the knobs and tuners up close.

$8k is a little rich for this axe, but these can be hard to find. I can see somebody paying that 'cuz they gotta have it...

10. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

You know, the grain does seem weird. Have to look at some pix I have and see if they did a 3-pc body back then.

11. the refin becomes super obvious on the pic of the headstock where the logo is visible.

id pass for that dough but it bet it sounds great..

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No, the headstock is not refinished. The logo "cloud" is very typical of the 50's and 60's nitro Fenders because the decal sits ontop of the finish, not under it. The finish under the logo film didn't discolour as much as the rest of the neck because the decal film acted as a UV shield just in the spot.
    The Custom Shop even recreates this with their relics.