Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A pretty nice Aerodyn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 3, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive always liked the Aerodyne..its my favorite Fender really.

Looks good.

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    that looks pretty sweet. i wish they made active aerodynes.

4. interesting...i've never seen red aerodynes...
    well, i like it better than the black one!

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'd like to hit it if I had the cash. I'm a sucker for binding.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Love the painted headstock.

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I've got the "standard" black aerodyne and while I dislike the fact that it is a fingerprint magnet, I have really grown to like it a lot! The body thickness sort of reminds me of my 4003, which I like a lot. It took a while to get used to the weight, but it has become one of my favorites.

8. I'm a huge fan of red basses, and binding. I want it. Now.

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    BID! if it was seafoam... or black I,d be crazy tempted to bid. Or like a cream colour like Steve Harris' cool Pbass that's creamish white with binding and a blackish mirror pickguard.

10. That bass does look pretty nice compared to a normal Fender but the basswood body with passive electronics and volume/volume/tone knobs doesn't sound so great. Tone is really dry and no power. Good for slap though. You might like that kind of tone though. Still, it looks great.

11. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Damn, I always thought the black aerodynes looked sweet, but that red is even nicer

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I bought a grey Aerodyne II from GuitarTrader for $489. They're selling the black ones for under $600 too. I think it's a good player, and I like the tone. Acoustically, it's really lively. It's not quite the lightweight it's made out to be, but it beats lugging the Roscoe Beck to every gig.

If you want to upgrade, you don't have to mod the PBR-1. Raven Labs now has a J-bass retrofit preamp.

13. The red ones are very cool. I love the binding. Of course they're harder to get a hold of in the US because they're domestic to Japan, but a lot of MIJ basses are the same. With enough will you can find one on Ebay or Ishibashi.