A producer contacted us. Should I be psyched?...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by miko, Oct 24, 2003.

1. howdy--

so i just checked my e-mail and found this message from a producer here in new york. i'm not quite sure what to make of it. i can't tell if he's more interested in making money off us by getting us to record, or hooking us up with record labels, so they can get us a deal and pay for the recording themselves. hence, i don't know whether or not to get excited. [though i did get pretty excited when i read it].

help me out here. what do you make of this letter? here is exactly what he sent:

Hi there.

I'm a rock record producer in NYC and I just was checking you guys out online. Are you guys looking to record more tracks? Let me know. I work with a slew of major labels and indie labels on projects on a regular basis. I've got great relationships in the record industry and I'm a
    kick ass music producer to boot.

What do you have???? A record deal??????????? Maybe it's about time!!!!!!!!

Anyway, let me know what's up.

(I left his name out deliberately)

My understanding is that labels and producers work closely together, and producers are fair game for helping you to get a record deal.

so what's your understanding of this? i really need to get hip to the biz aspects of music.

2. Google his name, see if it comes up on any known artists. If so, then get psyched
  3. I think I would at least investigate this. A producer doesn't make any money unless he brings in an act and they make some music together.

Chances are if he checked you out online then maybe he has heard something that he feels he can sell.

Don't get too excited, you don't know if you can even work with this guy. Who knows, maybe his vision of what you can do is different from yours.

Find out who he has recorded - ask him. Check out that music - better yet, get in touch with the acts that he has recorded and ask them what the experience was like. Then ask him what he would do with your material - this is crucial.

Remember, there are only two tragedies in life. Not getting what you want. And getting what you want.
  4. Google his name, see if it comes up on any know artists. If so, then get psyched
  5. i did google him, and he's definitely a legitimate producer with many name acts under his belt. he's fairly young, though, which makes me feel like he's trying to drum up biz, but then again, there have been lots of young rock producers [rick rubin, etc.]

i'm persuing it to the point of discussions, but won't rush anything, or fork up dough.

luckily, my attorney is an entertainment lawyer with many famous people as his clients. if it came to anything substantive, at least i feel like i have good counsel.

6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Cool, as long as he doesn't ask for money from you.:cool:
  7. Here is the translation:

My rent is due. I'm broke. Let's meet so I can BS you into "fronting" me some money. I'll make you famous!!

Here's what you should do: Take all the money out of your pockets and hide it under your matress. Go see him. Tell him you're flat broke. Hand him your CD and tell him to bring you a contract for six figures. He either can or he can't.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    if a producer was serious he wouldnt send you an email looking like that, and he would probably make a little more effort in contacting you.

Im with her^
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Keep a tight grip on your wallet.
  11. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, it doesnt make much sense that they would use any type of vulgar language in their email. you would think they would want to make themselves look professional. one of my brothers friends thought it would be funny to play a joke on him and send him a fake email that said that a record company wanted to sign his band. someone could be messin with ya.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If he was that "kick ass", he'd be busy producing records, not emailing bands...
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    He would also have a secretary checking his grammar. "and I just was checking you guys out online"? Come on.

Not to mention the clearly excessive use of interrogative and exclamatory punctuation. Nothing says unprofessional like more than one ! or ? at the end of a sentence.
  14. hide your wallet, the check him out