Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A project for our accomplished bass players. Not asking for much :)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by vegaas, Dec 2, 2002.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey all,
    I have noticed alot of us who are looking to improve but for whatever reason cant go lessons get really bogged down on what to learn next.
    My thought is, what if one or even a collaboration of many bass players started an online lesson. Start from the very beginning, and then once or twice a week post the next lesson.
    If online lessons where started it could then be saved for everyones future use. I would approach it as if a brand new student who never played the bass before were coming to me for lessons. Just number your lessons and we can all follow along. If I had the expertise to do this I would, but; unfortunatly I dont.
    And what will the teachers get out of this? Our undying gratitude in helping us reach our full bass potential. :)
    I dont know if anyone is willing to undergo such an undertaking, but; maybe you already teach lessons or are going to start, we can be your test students.
    Just a thought.
    Vegaas

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The single biggest problem with taking lessons like this would be the actual interface between teacher and student. You can't see someone using bad technique, hear them playing something incorrectly, or any other slew of audio/visual things. That's a big part of playing.. especially technique. I developed some very bad habits when I was teaching myself. It took me several months to undo them once I started taking formal lessons.

The other big thing is this: is the person(s) taking these lessons actually putting forth the time necessary to practice and learn everything before next weeks lesson?

I still have my notebook from my lessons, I saved all that stuff. My very first lesson was this:

memorize everything.

1. for walking standard 12 bar blues basslines, work in bars 7 & 8 chord substitutions. In F:

F7 / | D7 /
    F7 Bb7 | A7(or A-7) D7
    F7 E7 | Eb7 D7

2. E major 2 octave scale (and mixolydian as well), there is a particular way I was instructed to play it, which fingers to use on which frets, where to hand position shifts, etc..

3. double stops for blues, all 3rds and 7ths in the key of F. Work on soloing over blues in the key of F as well.

4. there's a note about Bb7 to B diminished... I'm guessing this was something to do with the 6th bar in "I Got Rhythm" changes.. but I'm not 100% certain.

OK, you have a week. Go learn it all and come back to your lesson and be able to do all this from memory. Weeks later, you might get asked to do something from a lesson you had several weeks before.. so keep everything in your head.

3. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I agree that it will take alot of work on not only the person posting the lesson, but the students as well.
    I for one am looking for something just like what you posted. Now I dont know what the chord progressions actually represent, but that is part of my homework. Find that info online, and then work on your lesson.
    I am sure there are many others here who would also do the work and benefit greatly from this.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    maybe a nice webcam can be better for a online lesson