Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A proud bass playing dad!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vegaas, Aug 23, 2002.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I had an interesting experience last night.
    I have 2 sons, 14 and 12. They very rarely get to see me play. When I practice with my band, lets just say its always 4:20, so the dont get to see us practice. They are too young to see us perform in bars. And when I practice at home, they are usually out playing, doing home work, or doing something in their room.
    When I have asked them in the past if they would be interested in playing an instrument, one would say maybe guitar, the other guitar or drums.
    Last night we were all in the living room, I have a couple areas of some songs I needed to work on, so I took out my bass and worked on them. I then just started doing some improv. When I looked up both of my sons were just staring at the bass as I played. They were completely captivated. Afterwords both said it was one the coolest things they saw and both now want to get a bass for Christmas! I was so proud!
    Now the delima, I would prefer if they each got a different instrument so they could play in bands together when they get older. I guess I have to try and convince one of them that other instruments are just as cool. (though I dont actually believe that ;) )
    Just thought I would share a proud family moment.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If I may make a suggestion--since quality beginner instruments are getting cheaper, and cheaper, why not buy a decent guitar/amp package, and a bass/amp setup? Heck, Yamaha even has a Manu Katche signature beginner drum kit for around $600.

Never hurts to have the other instruments around, and chances are good they might gravitate towards the other instruments naturally after trying to "be like dad." :D

Besides, we all know that bass is easy, and they will probably want to move on to harder instruments after they master it in a week, or so :eek: :D
    Just kidding.

Music rules. I expect I'll have kids in the next 5 years, or so. Can't wait to see what kind of freaky little mutant musician children I end up with. ;)

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree with monkeee boy - get one of each, and let them see what they like. if they still both want to play bass, you can get another one.

actually, having all the instruments available like that will be a cool thing - they'll be able to just fiddle around with them and get familliar with them on their own, even the instruments that are not their primary insterest.

4. thats awesome to hear, i just cant understand why it took them so long to hear you play. my kids would be happy if they never had to hear me again!! (probably because i suck though)

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Well, as I said, they really cant go to my band practice, and they cant see me in bars.
    They have just recently started too really get into music. They started out liking rap,(ughh) but they both have started to get into skateboarding (double ughh) and their musical taste have changed to more of the newer rock stuff. So I think in the past they couldn't have cared less about what I was playing.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My two girls couldn't care less about what I do with my bass. Once, after hearing me work on one of my originals, one of them said, "That doesn't sound like anything!"

:(

I'm glad your kids are into what you're doing!

:)

7. That's cool that the boys are finally connecting to you in that way. I recently had the pleasure of jamming with my son (age 14) on alto sax, his biological father on guitar and his uncle on keys. We had a lot of fun.

Maybe one of the instruments you should have around is a decent electronic keyboard. I always said that if I had my music career to do over again, I would get keyboard proficient as part of my training. The keyboard might come in handy if you need to do some theory work with them as they get more interested.

8. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    That's great man. I know how you feel. My daughter (9 years) has been playing piano for a few years and occasionally I jam with her on a keyboard. Only problem is that she feels the keyboard doesn't sound nearly as good as the piano and she would like a Roland digital piano :eek: Damn, she's only nine and has GAS already. She would also like to play bass but she's still small (4'1 50lbs) and I haven't seen a bass that is small enough yet. I got her an acoustic guitar but hasn't shown much interest...strange considering the ego she's already developed:rolleyes:

Peace