A Public Service Announcement we are due for

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Aug 23, 2003.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    In the course of moderating a forum, one often finds oneself in the position where he or she must actually moderate. This includes editing, deleting, moving, chopping, censoring, paring, and otherwise manipulating posts made by other usuers, so that they fit within the Rules and Guidelines in the forum.

Should said moderator come across a post that seems to be, say, condescending, rude, and smattered with name calling, it seems natural to close the thread or edit the post while making the appropriate comments to prevent future actions of the same ilk by said poster.

The black and white of internet message boards does not leave much room for interpretation. What might have been said in good jest in real life, would have been done so with a sly wink and a gentle nudge of the elbow, space permitting. Unless one is truly talented with the gift of Words, subtleties are lost in the course of digitizing our thoughts.

The savior, in the scenario, however, is the smiley. A little ;) there, or a :D there, or one of these :ninja:, I guess, can help add a much needed touch of informationalism, in order to help the general public, especially those who moderate in their spare time. They can change the entire ToNe of a post. Smilies are free, take as many as you want.
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Cool idea... using smileys... :)

5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Does that remind anyone else of the cactus' on mario world (SNES) that you can only kill with a yoshi?

Anyway, I see what the point of the thread is.

6. me too, to outsmiley everyone else!

nuff said, i win!
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Is that the Steve reich trio :p
  8. i dunno, but it sure is funny!

the bass player is on the wrong side of the bass, the guitarist is left handed, and EVERYONE knows NO drummer can keep time that well :p
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001