A public service announcement:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I know - it's been said before, but I'm saying it again. Please check your spelling, grammar and punctuation before you post. If you know that you are not the greatest when it comes to spelling, try using a spell checking program. I'm not saying that every post has to be perfect in these regards, but it's nice to at least have your posts be something that the average person can read and understand.

I've been reading through a lot of threads today, and I saw a few that were down right hard to follow. One involved a young person who seemed to have a problem with a fairly expensive bass. I would think that his issue would be quite important to him, yet his posts were nearly impossible to follow. If we can't really understand what you're talking about, then there is a good chance that your post will be ignored by the people with the most knowledge, or even worse - somebody who just wants to post will take a crack at it and give you very bad advice because they really didn't understand what you were asking.

Of course, on an international forum such as this, we have members for whom English is not their first language. We can usually recognize when that is the case and always cut people slack. Filling out your profile helps us to understand when this is the case. I see the worst misspellings from kids in the US.

Please, do yourself a favor and make sure that your posts are at least readable for those of us who will be reading them. This will go a long way toward helping you get the most out of these forums. Of course this is all IMO & YMMV.

That is all. I feel better. I'll get off my soapbox now.
  2. **Grabs the soapbox for a moment**

I have been personally very disappointed in general with the preponderance of American people who perpetually pulverize the english language. And the advent of 'text-speak' has only added to the problem! (B4 U go... UR 2 kewl... etc...) It saddens me to view a forum, guestbook or other public posting place that is filled with horrible spelling, grammar or punctuation. It reflects poorly on us as a whole and it really seems to hold up the idea that America is falling short in the education arena. Especially when I read posts from people who speak English as a second language and do so far better then most Americans. There really is no excuse, other then laziness.

I will say that this forum is a lot better then most I have seen regarding spelling, grammar, etc. I agree with you about 'trying', I am happy that this is a concern here and want to second that motion. It pleases me that this forum is nowhere near as bad as most other forums, guestbooks, etc. in regards to the apparent level of intelligence demonstrated not only by people's use of spelling and grammar, but in the substance of their posts as well! I have laughed, cried, and pondered deeply over what has been said here.

Kudos TB'ers! I am proud to be one of you!

And BTW, Matthew Bryson, I just checked your profile... we have the same birthday... freaky... Do you think we 'Halloweenies' are hyper-sensitive to these issues? Hmmmm...
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I apologize in advance for every post I’ve made or will ever make. I always hope that I’ve improved but in the end I doubt I understand myself.

Yours truly, commie bastard who can’t spell.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hmmm... could be. Actually, I lied about my birth date in my profile :bag: ..but my actual birth date is + 1 day, so I'm still a bit of a Halloweenie. I just didn't feel comfortable posting my real birth date alongside my real name on the web. Chock it up to Scorpio paranoia.:rolleyes:

Aw, Kserg - You're far from the worst. I always enjoy your posts.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

you're right about that. I should have been a bit more positive in my original rant.
  6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Dude, don't try to fight the machine. You can't win. the best you can do is hope others either grow out of it or learn by example. Such is life.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Aww thank you!
    I do however need improvement :)

Still I do feel like I need to apologize, as sometimes (or most of the time) my posts are not clear and probably are hard to read.

8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

Attached Files:

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No. Learn to read gibberish.
  10. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

I goes two skool to leern howtoo reed end speel.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Guys, just get over it. People will always have bad grammar, especially on internet forums. Sometimes it kind of bothers me too but I've trained myself to move on (for the most part). Personally I think a new thread about it every few months gets more annoying than the bad grammar itself. I know of no other social setting in which people periodically make the announcement that we need to clean up our grammar. If you truly just cannot follow someone's post because of the poor grammar then just move on. It hurts him or her, not you.

Besides, I can't take time to proofread if I want to catch up with Munjibunga's post count.

brad cook
    Nov. 12th
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Feel free to use this.

Attached Files:

13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hehe, I would love to use it but, me using that picture on someone is like Brad making fun of the Qintar. Its funny but deep inside we all know that they are one and it makes it slightly sad.
  14. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I laugh because it's funny;
    I cry because it's true.
  15. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I misspelled "end", sorry, it is now corrected.

16. I have to stop you here, because there is something that needs to be considered.

When you learn a language in school that is not native to you, you learn to use it with perfect grammar and spelling, etc.. When you use a language every day colloquially, your grammar is not monitored, and suffers.

Case in point - I take a spanish class with a girl who is fluent in spanish (but has lived her whole life here. Her parents are from Argentina) I have an A in the class, and she has a B. Why? Because nobody regulates conversational grammar. She has many grammar and spelling mistakes on her papers and what not because she was never forced to learn the language correctly. I, on the other hand, have been forced to speak with perfect grammar, and know all the spelling and accents to perfection. Thus, I speak more correct spanish than she does.

Just a little irrelevant thought.
  17. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hey! I is a kollidge stoodent two. I learnt too reed and right vary wel ther. :meh:

Yeah some of the grammatical errors piss me off too.

18. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    That's why your parents should beat your tail for speaking like an idiot.

Just my $.02.

Although, being rarer, my two cents are worth more. :)
  19. My tail specifically, or people's tails in general?
  20. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What a horrible comparison. I am not even going to explain why.