Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Q about true bypass switches.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Jul 12, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Apparently my MXR Super Comp has a mechanical bypass. It mutes/passes the bass signal even when there is no power.

My beef now is that it makes a click audible through the amp when I switch it on or off. Regardless of whether it's powered or not.

Is this normal/common for hard bypass switches?

I'm thinking of returning it for a replacement but would like to know first. Dunlop hasn't replied yet and I'm getting antsy :)

FWIW, it's a good comp. But the attack knob works backwards IMO. Turning it up slows down the compressor reaction to peaks.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Well, the "ploc" when switching is a very usual issue. It often is fixed by adding a 1Meg (or more) resistor just betwen the input of the board and the ground (or two, one at the output, if it's a true bypass).

If you don't have the habilities to do this and have a warranty, don't bother you, send it back ;)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Every MXR I remember playing through did this.

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Well, if you want to do this :

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ic_buffer.pdf

Here, the R4 resistor is here to avoid the "pop". A leg between switch and input cap, the other to ground.

The same at the output, still on leg between the cap and the switch and the other to ground would be also helpful.

but it depends on how the switching is done. Could you take a pic of the inside ?

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    So it's not a defect but a "feature" huh? Good enough.

The "ploc" (thanks!) isn't really bad it was just something I never heard an effect do before so I thought I recieved a bad unit.

T.Y.