Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question 4 stingray slappers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the mack, Jun 18, 2001.

1. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    i currentley have a fender mij 75 re-issue(maple neck) and i'm ready to add a mm stingray to my arsenal just for the FUNK of it! my question is which to think would sound better for thumping a ray with a maple or rosewood neck ? thanks

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ive been slapping for years and i cant think that it would make much of a diff! Can you play both before buying? I think you will find the stingray som much easier to slap than the fender that you will freak!

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well my opinion is you probably wont hear a difference, BUT slapping is very hard on a bass, maple necks almost always have a finish on them, and slapping will wear this finish off, Rosewood on the other hand is pretty much bare compared to maple necks and wont get the extensive wearing off that maple would have, make sense?????....I hope so because what I wrote doesnt make sense to me....;)

4. odie, is that your experience? because i don't see how slapping would cause any more finish wear than any other style of playing. upper fret wear, yes, but not the finish.

in any case, the last musicman i played had an unfinished maple board.

5. I agree with dancehall because I once owned a Stingray with rosewood board and it had obviously been slapped pretty hard. The lower frets were showing significant grooves but the board was fine.

The aggressive action of slapping should not affect the board, only the frets.

6. I would make sure you play one first I had a 4 string with a maple neck and sold it after about 5 months. The tone was way to bright. I played a rosewood the other day and it was still bright but not as bright as the maple.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I cant say for sure personally that slap would wear the finish faster, but Ive heard that it can.

either way Ive owned 2 stingrays, my first had a maple board which did get wear on it from playing etc, and I hated the way it felt.......smooth all over except were there was wear into the board. My rosewwod one gets smoother with wear.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

gruffpuppy nailed it IMHO.

Play both before you make a decision. Maple sounds brighter to my ears, and also feels different. I happen to prefer maple myself, but if a bass is already bright to begin with, a maple fingerboard can make it too bright.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a 'Ray with an ash body and rosewood board. The ash gives it punch and clarity and the rosewood warms it up a bit-it gets a great slap sound. The thing you have to watch out for on StingRays is the string-to-string volume--on a lot of them, the G string doesn't really line up with the polepieces of the pickup so it doesn't sound as loud as the other strings. Definitely a design flaw that Ernie Ball/MusicMan has never decided to fix. A pickup with bar polepieces-like Bartolini or Kent Armstrong-would solve this problem.

10. I have been slapping my maple neck Stingray for 21 years since I bought the 1978 model in 1980. This bass still has the best slap tone of any that I have played. I love the punch and thick midrange. You can tune the brightness by adjusting the treble. I have worn some of the finish between frets as well as some frets, but thats what 21 years of playing does to an instrument. I have never played on a MM rosewood board, but I suspect that you can't go wrong either way.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whoa! You said "a rosewood neck"??? :confused: That's a new one on me for a Ray.

If you were talking about the fretboard, read on;

Forget the rosewood, IMO.

Except for high end brands and luthiers who find the few remaining supplies of Brazilian rosewood that occasionally surface in the US, the only rosewood being used on US instruments for fingerboards is Indian Rosewood, (a.k.a., "junk"). Brazilian can't be imported to the US, except under special circumstances. Most of the Indian being used is soft, cheap, coarse grained, and your strings won't bounce off the board when you slap like they will with a dense, rock hard, maple board. And the maple just makes your sound brighter, giving it more presence. There is a premium grade of Indian that is better than what is generally being used, but I don't know if you see it being used for mass-produced fingerboards.

Maple costs more than Indian rosewood for a good reason - it outperforms it by a mile, especially for slap and it is in another league entirely for durability.

12. Darn I always do that, and only when talking about Stingrays. :D

Thanks for the tips.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

gruff - yeah, the original post threw me. I used to live and die by typos and proofreading when I developed training materials.

Sonically, I wouldn't care much about what the neck is made of unless it was a neck-through.