Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a question about adding an extension cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Today, I got my new speaker cabinets, an EB HD210 and an HD212. I don't have an amp yet to power them, but I do have my BXR 100 1x15 combo amp.

I want to use my 2x10 w/tweeter as an extension cabinet for my 15 until I get an amp to power my cabs. On some combo's, by the "line out" jack, it says how many watts at how many ohms, but on my combo it doesn't. The speaker cabinets are both 8 ohms, but I don't know what the impedance is on the amp.

Do I need to worry about plugging my speaker cabinet into my combo amp since I am not sure about the impedance, or is it ok? Is there anything else that I need to know or be careful of?

Thanks a lot!

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The line out jack won't run your extra cabs. The signal will be PRE the amp so you'll be sending an un-amplified signal to your cab. It's the same as plugging your bass straignt into the cab with no amp. Use the line out to go to the PA desk or to another amp only.

If you combo doesn't have a jack that says something like "extra speakers", than I'm affraid you're gonna have to wait. This usually means it's a 4 ohm amp running a 4 ohm speaker, meaning and extra cab will overload the amp and blow it.

Here's an idea. Check that the amp has a 4 ohm minimum. If so, disconnect the existing speaker all together. Then use the top half of the amp to run both your new speakers. 2 cabs at 8 ohms each gives a total 4 ohm load. But be careful not to run the amp too hard. You can kill speakers by sending a distorted (clipped) signal to them.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ah, thanks for clearing it up for me.

How would I go about disconnecting the speaker? And after that, how would I connect the amp section to the cabinets?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You'd have to unscrew and remove the speaker first of all. Depending on how the speaker connects to the wire, ths may involve some soldering. If your lucky there may be solder free connections.

The speaker wire was previously connected to your speaker will need to feed one of your new cabs - so you may have to make up a lead with the apropriate connectors (or butcher an existing lead, whetever's easier). Just be careful you connect the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative. Once you've got one speaker connected, just link to the other one.

Did you check the impedance of the amp? It will be written on the back somewhere. It will say 100w, 4 ohms or something like that.

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually, my amp is at my drummers house right now, because that's where we practice. I will call him up tomorrow and see what it says. Thanks a lot for the help!