A question about an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Warning: Heavy Reading Ahead

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to get an amp for practice/small gig (loud enough to play with a drummer).
    So here's my (rather tricky) situation.
    I have 2 options.
    1. a pre-owned Fender FrontMan 212R for $300~
    2. a brand new Fender Bronco 40 for $440
    Now, the thing is, the FrontMan is not a bass amp, but is probably a better choice (possibly louder). My cousin is willing to give me the FrontMan for free, but he lives in Sydney and I live in Brisbane. Shipping it to my place will be very costly, seeing as it weighs a tonne.
    I can get a local guitar shop to order in a new Bronco 40 for 440 (remember this is Australian dollars where everything is taxed hugely).

So, can someone tell me a few things;
    1. Which amp is better for my style? I like having effects (like envelope filter and I'd prefer not to buy a pedal), and I'm going to play with another guitarist and a drummer.
    2. Will an amp designed for a guitar be loud enough/work with a bass?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You're not going to want to push a guitar amp to gig or loud practice levels. The speakers probably would not be able to handle it.

Of those two choices that leaves the Bronco. I'd start looking at used stuff, there is bound to be something good out there within your budget.

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    40 watts isn't enough for playing with a drummer. You really need at least 100 watts and a 1x15" speaker or 2x10" cab.

Don't bother with the guitar amp, you'll blow the speakers quickly at loud volume.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Some of us old-timers managed quite well back in the day with 40 watt Fender Bassman heads. :D

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 guitar amp- bad choice. Also, +1 you'll want 100+ watts with a 1x15 as bare bones minimum.

6. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Honestly m8, not to be a jerk, but neither one of those is a good choice. :meh:

I am CERTAIN that you can find better in OZ for that price range. What is the absolute MAXIMUM you'd be willing to spend?

7. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I had a Bronco 40. It was ok for playing at home, alone. It had fun amp/effects modeling features but it did not like my pedals. I would try to find better.

8. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    +1

I also had a Bronco an it is a fun practice amp but not designed to play in a band.

9. Mossmatic

Mossmatic Compulsive Modder

Jul 19, 2012
    I don't think either of those are a good choice for playing bass in a band either... And unless you're playing trad jazz in a coffee shop, you'll need more than 100 watts. IME, 200-250 watts is bare minimum as a starter for adequate headroom (depending on the amp, band and typical venue of course).

10. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    450~ is probably the most I'll spend on an amp.
    @majortoby
    What would you recommend for <$500?

11. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Oh, I forgot to mention, it'll probably be used mostly as a home practice amp.

12. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    HUMP
    BUMP

13. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Bump

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021