Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Question about Bass Kits

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I want to order a kit from Carvin. I want to do this because luthiers are expensive, and there is no manufactured bass to my exact specification. But some of the Carvins do come pretty close.

Anyway, I want to know if anyone has or know someone who has screwed up a bass kit.

2. Well seeing as there has been no replies to this question.... does it answer your question? :p

:D:D

Merls

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    patience wise moderator, I'm sure some drunken monkey found a clever way to put the neck on upside down.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
  5. Its okay, what that user has done is incorrectly wired something. If you follow the instructions down to a T then it should be fine.

Even still... so what if you stuff something up? Thats what this forum is for anyway.... answering questions.

Merls

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm just worried that I'll screw it up to the point where I cannot take it apart again, or that I won't be able to assemble it even with the instructions. If this is the situation, I'll have spent a good $400, without getting a new bass.

7. I reckon you should be fine. There's not that much to it...

Merls

8. My god man, this isn't rocket science!! Do some more research and get some more confidence. The Carvin kits look pretty good and I've heard enough good things about them to figure that a little patience and attention to detail should be all that's needed to do a more than passable job. If you've studied what a quality bass should have and how it's assembled, it becomes more a matter of mimicing the quality. And remember - the Carvin's are all CNC cut so fit shouldn't be a question.

9. Mud Flaps, if you PM me, I can give you the names of two friends who have used the Cravin Kits and did a great job with no problems. I'm sure they would enjoy talking to you about the kits.

:bassist: Treena

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I built a fretted 5 bolt-on kit from Carvin 5 years ago. Although it wasn't the plan, it has become my primary bass. Finishing took the most time. Assembly took maybe 8 hours total. A very enjoyable project and very hard to screw up.
    Peace,
    Fo'