1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A question about Bergantinos and speaker sensitivity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I was just looking on their site for some info and noticed a difference in the sensitivity ratings for their new HT210S and EX112S sub.

The HT has a rating of 100db, whereas the EX sub is only 96 db. Now I've heard that a perceived difference of +3db in a cab requires a doubling of wattage. So, before I contact Jim himself for an explanation, why the discrepancy of 4 db? Is the EX112S there to provide low end presence and less than equal volume to the HT210S?

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    mr. bergantino it a pretty smart guy, so i'm sure the components work well together. you can't always go by the numbers. if a cab has a rating of 100db that does not mean 100db from 20-20k. matter of fact the cab is probably -10 or -12 at 40hz which would make the cab 88 or 90db at 40hz. if the sub is 96db at 40hz then it is giving you 6-8db more sound in the bass frequencies.

i have no idea what the real frequencies and db ratings actually are, i just kinda gave you an example of how it works.